What Wrong - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yamaha405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to yamaha405 Send a message via MSN to yamaha405 Send a message via Yahoo to yamaha405
(Thread Starter)
Man, ive fought this problem for weeks now, and im royally stumped. When i start my car and give it zero to half throttle it sounds fine, but half to full throttle, it bogs down and wants to die. i cant just go like vroom vroom either. it will die. i have to slowly build my way up. i cant take off fast or nothing. very very slowly is the only thing i can do. It was fine before i did a basic tune up on it. i know i have the firing order right now. could wrong plugs do this. ive got new ones twice, and i noticed that with the new ones i got last night, it dont like the cold much, or starting when it hasnt been running for a while. Im totally stumped, that is the only thing holding me back from finally being to have a car again. please help me...Chris---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure that the electrical connector on your idle control valve is on tight. A loose conncector will cause loss of accleration, stalling and other odd symptoms.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:46 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear@Mar 3 2005, 04:38 PM
Make sure that the electrical connector on your idle control valve is on tight. A loose conncector will cause loss of accleration, stalling and other odd symptoms.
[snapback]303406[/snapback]
An ICV does just that, idle control, it will have little to no affect on half to full throttle running.

It sounds like the car is running out of fuel so you need to check fuel pressure, should be no less than about 35psi at idle. If fuel pressure is low, try replacing the fuel filter. If that doesn't solve the problem the fuel pump may be dieing. If the fuel pressure is really high at idle the fuel pressure regulator may have gone bad or the vacuum like to the FPR may be cracked.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Neutral Member

yamaha405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to yamaha405 Send a message via MSN to yamaha405 Send a message via Yahoo to yamaha405
(Thread Starter)
hey aj, you told others not to use platnim plugs, would my car do this if i do have platinum plugs. becasue that is what i got in the engine. thanks Crhis---
#5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 08:01 AM
2nd Gear Member

bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound to me like it's not injecting at higher rev's couple of this to check foist make sure the flap in the air flow meter is moving freely and there's no marks were it's been rubbing anywhere, then the throttle switch this has three positions idle, part-load and full throttle you'll need a meter that will show continuity sorry looked through my wiring discs and haven't got one early enough to show a switch there're all potentiometers now. You can work it out there are three pins I think the centre pin is common so you'll have a signal on one of the others for idle and a signal on the other for full and no signal is part-load or engine of. I've also seen a weak spring on the distributor arm rev limiter do this.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 01:53 PM
n00b

spareray64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by yamaha405@Mar 3 2005, 04:35 PM
Man, ive fought this problem for weeks now, and im royally stumped. When i start my car and give it zero to half throttle it sounds fine, but half to full throttle, it bogs down and wants to die. i cant just go like vroom vroom either. it will die. i have to slowly build my way up. i cant take off fast or nothing. very very slowly is the only thing i can do. It was fine before i did a basic tune up on it. i know i have the firing order right now. could wrong plugs do this. ive got new ones twice, and i noticed that with the new ones i got last night, it dont like the cold much, or starting when it hasnt been running for a while. Im totally stumped, that is the only thing holding me back from finally being to have a car again. please help me...Chris---
[snapback]303374[/snapback]
i think you need to time it ....i have a 77 320i and i did a tune up w/ points and condenser and i had the same prob.......TDC it the start and time w/ a light.....worked for me.....oh yeah im in tacoma and am always lookin for parts.....Hell_Man_64641@msn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)