BMW Werkz banner

What the hell is the Green <-> Dash Light?

20K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  albertayars 
#1 ·
Yes, I said <->

It is to the left of the Check light. I just saw it in a glare on the instruments a couple days before I left the country... What the hell is it? I obviously don't have the original owners manual, or I would have referred to that for answer!

THANKS!!!

#3 ·
at first i thought "umm directional?" then i read closer and said ahhh idiot.

no idea sorry

#5 ·
It is quite literally a single green indicator light just to the left of the CHECK light. The image appears to be a double sided arrow and it COMPLETELY confuses me as to what it might be. I suppose I could have made my original description a little more clear... I will try to find some pics of a similar instrument cluster and try to highlight if possible!

Thanks for your time all!

Josh W.

#6 ·
No, this isn't MY cluster... just a pic from one of the other rooms in the forum... The red box is where I noticed it... Unfortunately it's NOT visible in this pic, but maybe this can help someone (perhaps someone with an original manual for the car?) identify what it is!

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
That is a separate light but it is close to the double arrow light. Actually, I need to man up and buy another Digital Camera to actually SHOW you guys. When German Speed Demon was down here, he saw the light, because it had actually just turned on and now it stays on all the time.
As for doing dash work, I had done some a few weeks prior, and even took out the SI board (which is still out as I search for a suitable junkyard replacement) but the light didn't come on immediately after that. It came on when I whacked the top of the dash pod to get my fuel gauge to come alive (the whole dash cluster has a LOT of corrosion on its internals and I just don't have the cash to get that taken care of right now). But until such time as I get a digicam, I can only tell you it is about 1 whole indicator light to the right of the Foglight indicator, as shown by the red outlined picture in my previous post.

Weird!

Josh W.

#11 ·
Funny Green Light

if you are referring to the green light on posted picture (just belwo CEL) it is a permanent color (not light) and preceedes the green service light. I just had the cluster out of my 1990 325ic and looked at this light specifically and discovered it is noit a light. Why, Quien Sabe.

#12 ·
No, it's an actual light, because mine is now lit up full time, but the car is otherwise running fine, so I don't fear losing my engine through my tailpipe or anything, but I am just curious what it actually is?

Thanks all!

Josh W.

#14 ·
When I pulled my cluster a few weeks ago I remembered this thread and shined a light through that hole....there's no bulb in my cluster that goes in there, just and empty hole...either the light was removed or there was never meant to be a bulb there. But when I shined the light through it looked just like a turn signal indicator.

In my old VW there wasn't a light on the cluster for each (L and R) turn signal there was just one bulb that flashed for both signals...

so if I had to guess, and this is totaly a guess, I would say this USED to be a turn signal indicator on older models but as the 3 series was changed they might have just tweaked the cluster instead of making a whole new one...therefore leaving the old turn signal indicator, but with no bulb so it will never be seen...and putting the new indicator up by the high beam light.

someone tell if I'm way, way, not even close, shouldn't even be driving the car, stupid, wrong....

#15 ·
Hmmm... Thanks for the heads up Starmavin! I will tear back into my dash in a couple weeks when I give her a valve adjustment and general shakedown. I honestly don't remember if my Anti-Lock light comes on or not, and that being the case, I would be willing to bet you are right.

Thanks again, and I will keep you all posted.

Josh W.

#17 ·
hey i actually have the owners manual for a 1988 325, 325i, 325is, and the 325iX and it doesnt even have a green light listed as being on the dash at all. So maybe its all in you imagination? haha. Sorry i couldn't be any help, but if you need to know anything from the manual just let me know.

#18 ·
Thanks Heabs! I will keep digging around until I get a satisfactory answer, or at least get a pic of the friggin light!

Josh W.

#21 ·
(Maybe) an answer about the Green Light....

Hi... I hope this helps.

I just joined this site and happen to see this question in the forum.

I don't know if you have figured out what the green light is, but I may be able to help.

I read (I believe it was in the Haynes Manual) that before 1987 the e30 had a light that came on to notify you that you needed to replace the oxygen sensor. It also stated that once the light came on it could not be turned off. They said you had to remove the bulb and leave it empty. Sounded like a big nuisance to me. I guess that's why they got rid of it.

So... if your 325 is an '86 or earlier that might be what that light is. If it's an '87 or beyond, then I'm as much in the dark about what the light is as everybody else. :D

Pete
'87 325iC
'88 325is

#22 ·
uhohink said:
Hi... I hope this helps.

I just joined this site and happen to see this question in the forum.

I don't know if you have figured out what the green light is, but I may be able to help.

I read (I believe it was in the Haynes Manual) that before 1987 the e30 had a light that came on to notify you that you needed to replace the oxygen sensor. It also stated that once the light came on it could not be turned off. They said you had to remove the bulb and leave it empty. Sounded like a big nuisance to me. I guess that's why they got rid of it.

So... if your 325 is an '86 or earlier that might be what that light is. If it's an '87 or beyond, then I'm as much in the dark about what the light is as everybody else. :D

Pete
'87 325iC
'88 325is
No its not a light for the O2 sensor. All BMW warning lamps that advise you there is a problem with your car or servicing needed are red or amber/yellow in color.

After looking at the pics I suspect the light is for the euro cars where you used the turn signal with the car off to light up the parking lights on the side of the car that you turned the turn signal towards. The green light is probably a reminder that the side marker lights are on. So if you took out the cluster and did some work on it with the bulbs out I suspect that you put a bulb into the wrong spot. Make sure all your normal lights will turn on when you first turn the key on.

#23 ·
Actually, I JUST got my new digital camera (Canon Powershot SD-550, oooooooohhhhhhh!) and I will take a pic of the light before I head home today! I haven't dug into the cluster at all with regard to lights. I just smacked the cluster one day to get my fuel gauge to work (something I do once or twice a month, my whole cluster needs to be replaced as there is a HUGE amount of corrosion on all the circuit boards inside) and boom, there was the light!

I have to say, I really appreciate the fact that this board is FULL of tenacious and dedicated bimmerheads, because this thread would have long ago died on some of the other boards!

Thanks all!

Josh W.

#24 ·
325eXTATIC said:
...and boom, there was the light!...

Wait theres actually a light in it?? That's weird, because when I pulled my cluster and looked there WAS NOT a bulb in that slot...just an empty spot. Like I said before I shined a light through it and there was that <--> turn signal look alike. Maybe some one removed the bulb years ago.....hmmmmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.