BMW Werkz banner

what is this heavy weight in my trunk?

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  BMW Lover 
#1 ·
I would like to ask any of you E30 owners if you have ever come across a 50 pound weight in the trunk of your 325i/ I have pics and I will post them. I was thinking that it is for counter weight to offset the weight of the driver. but that is 50 pounds that I would like to get rid of unless there is a very good reason to keep it. it was on the passenger side of the trunk, where some people put their car battery. I hope someone is familiar with this part and can let me know what the deal is...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
woah shit i dint know that, too bad my car is in the shop or else i'd go look! it sounds like its supposed to off-set the driver like u said...that makes sense

#7 ·
weight is useless, get rid of and use it as a paper wieght.

that is pretty fucked up though

#8 ·
Where do u live? Maybe if u live in an area where it snows and u weren't the oringinal owner, the person before u might have put it back there for extra weight in the winter...... this is all goin on assumptions, correct me if i am wrong

#10 ·
serious shit weight can do alot for the car, its all in placment dont say throw it becuz it mite add balence u kno...

#12 ·
Originally posted by Slvr E30iS@Aug 6 2004, 08:39 PM
serious shit weight can do alot for the car, its all in placment dont say throw it becuz it mite add balence u kno...
thats what i was thinking, 318is is about perfect balance. keep it for now...
50-50 wt distribution is everything,
check the weight at public scales its free most places

where exactly was it placed and was it bolted, or held down in any way? i will check mine on tuesday when i pick it up, but i have never looked under my spare before, i never needed to...

Mark

#14 ·
well...hmm i disagree in a way. becuz like all the shit bmws have stock on them...alot of other cars dont :-/ u get my point? like bah nvm

#16 ·
Originally posted by sp0rky+Aug 9 2004, 02:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sp0rky @ Aug 9 2004, 02:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Slvr E30iS@Aug 8 2004, 06:04 PM
well...hmm i disagree in a way. becuz like all the shit bmws have stock on them...alot of other cars dont :-/ u get my point? like bah nvm
What exactly are you disagreeing with?
lol [/b][/quote]
Yeah... @_@

#17 ·
nvm it all, there are a ton of cars out there that are shit...but also light as fuk. its a bmw ... common

#20 ·
those 2.0 si ludes are quick thoh, u need to give them that. with some work done on them they can become very responsive at that

#22 ·
YOU FOUND MY PAPER WEIGHT!!! OMG THANK YOU!!!! hahaha that would be my reaction then i would toss it asside and remove that 80 lbs rubber lining stuff back there too....haha anyone else remove all that rubber??? i removed back seat spare tire and all that rubber and it was like i needed to lower the back again lol...

#23 ·
haha! i think now i mite keep all that shit in there..lol

#24 ·
Originally posted by Slvr E30iS@Aug 9 2004, 04:55 PM
haha! i think now i mite keep all that shit in there..lol
WHY?!?!?! haha with all that removed you could probably get that 318 to do brake stands...lol trust me my friend...thats how the women flock :p (not really) just impresses the guy friends haha...anyone else notice how easy it is to brake stand in a e30? pop the clutch left foot on brake and right foot to the floor...like clock work i could sit there till the tires blew in my e...never wanted to do that to my drive shave(sorry Propeller Shaft) lol or tranny...OK AND SERIOUSLY...WHY DO WE HAVE TO CALL IT A PROPELLER SHAFT JUST CAUSE THATS HOW BMW STARTED ON AIRPLANES...oops caps :cig ....i have been corrected by soo many BMW mechanics cause i wanted to be an american and say drive shaft haha

#25 ·
meh ~_~ i also dont understand that, the american mechanic i have calld it a driveshaft :p hehe

#26 ·
sorry I have not posted here in a few days.
Some of you asked where in the trunk I found the weight.
I found it on the passenger side in the trunk in that hollow space where we usually store loose stuff. Or where some of us may relocate the battery. It was mounted in there and looked factory. the metal is stamped with the BMW seal. if you look at the pic you will see some rubber grometts that are on each corner, those isolate the vibrations.

I was told in another forum that is was all about grip. But noone has been able to find a similar weight in their E30. maybe it is specific to a convertible mine is a 1991 325i conv with automatic trans. One thing is for sure. When I take the weight out. Second gear really snaps my neck. once I add the weight back. the change of gear is smoother. I am going to leave it out because I am in sunny florida. and also because I am already adding weight. I am putting subs in the trunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.