What Do You Think? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoody is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
The ad for a 91' 318i came into the paper today. Although it had no picture the description said its in "good condition" it has 60k and its a 5 speed 4D. He as asking for 3200 which seems quite overpriced for a 318. I checked it out the blue book price and just gave it the benefit of putting it under "good condition" and it came out to 3 grand flat. I want to check it out and see if its in good condiotn or not and if It is I would like to talk him down for the price. I haven't bought a car before so I don't know how to persuade someone to go down on the price without seeming rude. Any tips or comments??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:01 PM
n00b

Fuggly is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fuggly
Have a competent mechanic check it out before you start negotiating. Usually bringing cash in hand will get you a better deal than coming back with a bank check or something.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:53 PM
5th Gear Member

TMac325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TMac325is
give it a good hard test drive, and check it head to toe, then ask if he will allow you to have a mechanic check it out. if he says no theres gonna be something wrong with it, but he should let you if he really wants to sell it.

if it all checks out, then that price is somewhat reasonable. if theres anything wrong with it, use that as reasons to talk the price down, or you might not want to buy it anymore

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>T-Mac</span>
95' BMW 325is Jet Black, 5 speed
Xtec 6000k HID kit, DDE Enhanced, Euro Ellipsoids, M3 Front Bumper, Color-matched rear,
Alpine Mp3/CD, 20% tint, M3 Contour Rims, Smoked Corners, front lip
Clear Side markers, K&amp;N Performance Filter, Debaffle, Color-matched side skirts</span>
#4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 04:43 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
When you said "hard test drive" you mean take the car for a beat? If so, do people usually let you test em out like that? Also, when you say have a mechanic check it out should I ask the guy to drive it down to a mechanic place w/him? Sorry if these are lame question i'm a mass noob to this.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 AM
n00b

Abdul is an unknown quantity at this point
You dot have to be rude to offer less money. You just tell them what you would be willing to pay, you dont have to denegrate the person or the auto.

Just say " I will give you 2500 for it. " If he says your crazy then take your money and leave. If he makes a counter offer then you know he is willing to negotiate. Dont think of it as rude. If the situation was turned around, and you were selling your car, you probably wouldnt consider it rude for someone to offer you less than what you wanted.

As for having the car checked out by a mechanic, call around and ask some mechanics how much they charge to inspect a car that you looking at buying used. They used to charge 75$ or so to do an inspection, I dont know what the current rate is. If this means leaving it with them for a day, then tell the owner of the car that you would like to have a mechanic check the car out, if he doesnt agree then look for a different car.

Just my 2 cents
#6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice man. I would love to have a mechanic stop by but 75 bucks is kinda a lot for me, I only get like a little over a hundred each fuking check. Do you all really think a mechanic is a must? But thanks for the tips and I'll se how it goes.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoody@Feb 20 2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the advice man. I would love to have a mechanic stop by but 75 bucks is kinda a lot for me, I only get like a little over a hundred each fuking check. Do you all really think a mechanic is a must? But thanks for the tips and I'll se how it goes.
[snapback]295950[/snapback]
what are you doing that you only get 100 bucks a check unless you get paid every day?

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:11 AM
n00b

Abdul is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, I dont think a mechanic is a must. But I like working on cars, so I look at breakdowns as opportunities to buy more tools.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul@Feb 20 2005, 11:11 PM
Personally, I dont think a mechanic is a must. But I like working on cars, so I look at breakdowns as opportunities to buy more tools.
[snapback]296042[/snapback]
amen except when they're costly im not much into break downs, im more into the when i feel like it take it apart kind of thing that way its not an problem, like tomorrow im going to take half of my engine appart just because. plus it sounds like i have a leak somwhere down there so ill take off the intake and all that stuff maybe get some mustang injectors we'll see how i feel at the time.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Cellardoor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cellardoor
Personaly i feel that if money is an issue for u then a mechanic is must... its better to spend 75$ now and find out the car is a lemon then to get it home and dump 100's of dollars into trying to keep it on the road. Also a mechanic is a plus if u dont know what to look for to determine if the car is satisfactory or not. Just my feeling on it, have a good one and keep us posted!

-Hutch-

<span style='color:red'>Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totaly work out, loudly proclaiming &quot;Wow! What a ride!!&quot;.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>If life passes you by......downshift</span>
#11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thats a good point, I'm hoping to check it out on wednesday or thursday if I can fit it in. He said there was a very interested buyer though but he doesn't have all the money up front so they didn't let him get it yet. And I'm only getting a 100 for my check because I only work maybe 3 days at the most a week and get paid minimum wage which is 6.25 here and my total hours average out about 18 for each check. After state taxes and whatnot it comes out to lower than a pile of crap. Its my first job and i'm quiting that bitch .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)