weird engine sound - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jfertita is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
weird engine sound

So i just replaced the timing belt on my 86 325 and when i started the engine for the first time afterwards its really really loud. it sounds like a diesel engine now. clicking and knocking sounds are what i hear the most...does that mean i need to adjust my valves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:58 PM
n00b

Matty is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats quite possible. I recently had my head rebuilt and they failed to tell me that the vavles were A) very very out of adjustment and B) the nuts for the valves werent even tightened down. So i fired her up and heard a horrible CLACK CLACK CLACK. So if you hear anything like that, or even a very loud tick tick tick, then its most likely the vavles.
As for the knocking sounds i am not sure, i assume you timed the engine...
#3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

fastshivy is on a distinguished road
Whoa...I hope you lined all the marks up on the camshaft, crank pully etc..If it is out of time you could be whacking your valves into the pistons. Putting a timing belt on should not affect the valve adjustment, unless you loosened the cam or something. Not real familiar with this particular engine though I would guess it is set up like most overhead cam engines.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
well when i was putting the timing belt back on the camshaft turned about 1/4 of an inch to the right...i thought i turned it back enough but i guess i didnt..so now i have to take all my parts back off and try and line up the camshaft right but its so hard to turn by hand, i dont even understand how it turned in the first place
#5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
they turn, align it by the MARKS not by just guessing...follow the instructions in the bentley!!!!!!...

problem is, sounds like you may have smashed a few valves...i hope not, i wish you the best of luck though

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
well i messed up when i tried to align the timing and i had to take all the stuff back off and redo the camshaft timing. when i first started her up she was pinging, but i took her for a drive down the street and that cleared up so i think it was only the spark plugs clearing out. over all im happy
#7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Great news...u dodged the bent valve bullet!
#8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
but now today when i started the car it was idleing very erratically until it warmed up, and even warmed up it was still at a rough idle. later in the afternoon i noticed i was low in coolant again and i looked under the car and there was a steady drip of water so i brought it home and checked under neither and its leaking from the water pump..would that act as a vacuum leak and make my idle rough?
#9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

No, a water pump can not cause a vacumn leak.You could be slinging water everywhere and causing problems. I would pull the plugs and make sure you have good compression before going further. If one or 2 cylinders are low than you bent a valve. If they are all low or real high then the cam is probably out of time. Because of all the clickity clacks you experienced, I would make sure the compression is good, then you can build a diagnosis from there. I hope it turns out OK
#10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
hmm alright thanks ill check it out
#11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok so i fixed the leak in my water pump and it ran great for about a day. but now whenever i start the engine cold it idles very erratically again almost like it wants to stall out but doesnt. anybody have any ideas on what it could be? i checked my hoses and i cant find any vacuum leaks. i also cleaned my ICV about a month ago...
#12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:37 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Three things to test: Cold start injector. Coolant temp sensor. Fast idle temp switch.
#13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 PM
n00b

kenika65 is on a distinguished road
I have an Idea I'm not to clear on 325 but on my 318is m42 my engine was making a sound like a diesel and idling rough... so i changed my timing belt tensioner which is a one bolt replacement part which was making all the racket and causing the timing to be off... here is a pic...
bavauto
sorry if no help...
#14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
hey guys sorry it took so long to repost, ive been mad busy..but good news, i did fix the erratic idle, she runs smooth as silk now i appreciate everyones help!
#15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
spectacular

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)