Violent Shaking - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
84beemer is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello, I have a 1984 318i. It seems i have developed an electrical problem. My car drives perfectly fine up unitl 2500 rpm's then it shakes. If i shift its fine but in 5th gear at 2500 rpm's i reach a grand total of 52 MPH. If i go over 2500 rpms it violently shakes to the point where i can hear parts clanging together. I KNOW thats bad for it. My friends dad said that the only thing that could cut my enigne off at an exact rpm would be my computer. He suggested replacing it. BUT im in high school and I work at mcdonalds so im hoping to find a cheaper fix. ANY IDEAS!!!!
84beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by 84beemer@Jan 29 2005, 04:54 PM
Hello, I have a 1984 318i. It seems i have developed an electrical problem. My car drives perfectly fine up unitl 2500 rpm's then it shakes. If i shift its fine but in 5th gear at 2500 rpm's i reach a grand total of 52 MPH. If i go over 2500 rpms it violently shakes to the point where i can hear parts clanging together. I KNOW thats bad for it. My friends dad said that the only thing that could cut my enigne off at an exact rpm would be my computer. He suggested replacing it. BUT im in high school and I work at mcdonalds so im hoping to find a cheaper fix. ANY IDEAS!!!!
[snapback]281999[/snapback]
well on ebay they have computers for these htings for about 20 bucks so you could get one of those. as far as the clanging together of the engine, check your engine mounts pop your hood and see if you can push the engine arround, if you can your engine mounts need replacing. im not really sure why or how your engine could be that far out of blance that it starts shaking like that tho... unless its your tranny mounts too... but even them im not really sure that sounds like a verry interesting question. the 2500 is computer related if it cuts off and doesn't let you go above, but by the way your explaining it it doesn't sound like your engine stops at 2500 cause you said you can bring it higher then that, and if its shaking violently then i would think that that is a mechanical problem and the computers trying to stop you from making it worse.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I replaced my transmission and Motor mounts over the summer cuz they fell apart and my motor was floppin aorund which made my transmission flop around, so i decided to change them as well as the motor mounts. Well thanks for the help. Are the computers on ebay reliable or are they used. Is there a chance i would be waisitng my money? WOW you have a 318is!!! Thats awesome!!! I want one so bad!! DOHC very nice. I was thinkin about swapin motors but its alot of time that I dont have. PLus its not like 318is are sittin around every where. Theres a bmw parts place close to me here in maryland and they claim they can get me one but hes bluffin. Whats that motor like?? My dad who loves e30 beemers as much as me ( he has a '87 325i convertible ), says that bmw realized that the 318is was like makin a slightly smaller M3. But hes crazy. I bet its a 4 bangin rocket, paired with the "s" suspension.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by 84beemer@Jan 29 2005, 09:18 PM
I replaced my transmission and Motor mounts over the summer cuz they fell apart and my motor was floppin aorund which made my transmission flop around, so i decided to change them as well as the motor mounts. Well thanks for the help. Are the computers on ebay reliable or are they used. Is there a chance i would be waisitng my money? WOW you have a 318is!!! Thats awesome!!! I want one so bad!! DOHC very nice. I was thinkin about swapin motors but its alot of time that I dont have. PLus its not like 318is are sittin around every where. Theres a bmw parts place close to me here in maryland and they claim they can get me one but hes bluffin. Whats that motor like?? My dad who loves e30 beemers as much as me ( he has a '87 325i convertible ), says that bmw realized that the 318is was like makin a slightly smaller M3. But hes crazy. I bet its a 4 bangin rocket, paired with the "s" suspension.
[snapback]282100[/snapback]
yeah hand'es like a god now its awsome. its lowered, and i got 17's on it. i just finished rebuilding the head last week, and then i put in a pair of custom ground cams and a dinan chip its just as fast as my buddies 325, so now i got speed and handling and yes it is fun. i might put a turbo on it this summer we'll see if i have the time
Old 01-31-2005, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
hey its a bimmer not a "beemer"
e30fanm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sniady is an unknown quantity at this point
check your center support bearing. if you don't know what that is. It mounted in the center of the driveshaft. If they go out, your driveshaft will make crazy clunking noise. If not that, it might be a out of balanced driveshaft also.
sniady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by 84beemer@Jan 29 2005, 09:18 PM
[snapback]282100[/snapback]

the computers are used and work fine as far as i know, chech the sellers history before you bid on it to make sure hes selling good stuff.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
also i dont think that the center barring would do anything rpm wise, it would be speed wise which would mean it would only shake once at 52 mph in example, or clunk when putting into drive. is your clutch ok? where does the banging come from?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Ok, well my clutch is fine i should know, cuz i replaced it along with the transmission last winter. I'm goin to get another computer soon, becasue i think that may fix my problem. The clanigng is not engine, i believe it is my rear subframe mounts or lack there of. I replaced all my u joints, center supporitng bearing, because i had that start to go on me so i checked it and it was destroyed. so i believe i need a new computer. thanks for the ideas!!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by sniady@Jan 31 2005, 08:36 PM
check your center support bearing. if you don't know what that is. It mounted in the center of the driveshaft. If they go out, your driveshaft will make crazy clunking noise. If not that, it might be a out of balanced driveshaft also.
[snapback]283521[/snapback]
I replaced my support bearing because of exactly what you described. That was a easy job. Im takin the drivehsaft out of my parts car ( '85 318i ) because i do believe it is out of balance. the shaking i believe is my motor having power then not. I'm goin to get a new computer to see if that works. thanks for ideas!!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I replaced my support bearing because of exactly what you described. That was a easy job. Im takin the drivehsaft out of my parts car ( '85 318i ) because i do believe it is out of balance. the shaking i believe is my motor having power then not. I'm goin to get a new computer to see if that works. thanks for ideas!!!!
[snapback]283660[/snapback]
[/quote]

alrighty well let us know if it works or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)