BMW Werkz banner

Vibration in car

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  BMW Lover 
#1 ·
I got a clutchmaster stage one clutch kit not too long ago when my clutch was going out and when I had a local speed shop install the clutch I was satasfied for about 30 seconds. They had me convinced that my engine was crankwalking for about 2 months until I did a little bookwork and found out they were janking my chain on that one. So this vibration went unexplained for that long. It feels like (When riding) that its coming from right in the transmission. Once, there was someone on here who said that there is a component in the clutch assembly that can go in two different ways and still operate fine, but if it gets put in backwards it vibrates alot. Anyhow, that vibration is starting to mess up other parts of my car with its shaking, and I need to have it repaired. Anyhow, just wondering..

#3 ·
I can't think of a clutch component that can go in 2 different ways and still work. The only thing that is possible to do that with is the friction disc but if that gets put in backwards it will eventually weld itself to the inputshaft on the trans and the clutch will stop working. It sounds like you might have a bad pressure plate, or one that is out of balance. Did you get your new clutch balanced to your flywheel? If not it is a good idea to get this done the next time you do the clutch. Most machine shops have a 24 hour turn arround time on doing this, some will even get it done the same day if you drop off your stuff first thing when they open. Dose the vibration happen when you free rev the engine? I personally don't like these somewhat off brand clutches. I like to stick with either factory BMW, SACHS, or if I need a clutch with high holding power I'll go with a CenterForce II Twin Friction set up that has 90% higher holding power than stock. SACHS makes a nice clutch, we use them all the time at the BMW shop I work at. They come in 4 stages, 1 is basicaly a stock set up, 2 is 30% more holding power than stock, 3 is the same as 2 but with a lightweight pressure plate, and 4 is a race set up with a 6 puck friction disc and lightweight pressure plate with a very high holding force.

#4 ·
Check the flex cupling. It is the rubber peice that connects the driveshaft to the trannie. It has five bolts, and is made of rubber, and will wear out over time. When mine went it felt like the driveshaft was bouncing agaist the underside of the car, well becasue it was. This had also caused the center bearing, the link bearing that connects the two driveshafts together, to break it's rubber seal aswell.

#5 ·
hmm, well I hope its nothing that drastic. But I'm not sure what it is. It occurs even at idle speeds and without the clutch being engaged. Or engaged in neutral. So I'm not sure how serious it could be, but the shop that did it tried to screw me by blatently lying about my engine to say I was unelegable for a warantee. >_<

#6 ·
Could be the motor mounts too. I had one of those go on my old 318, and it would vibrate constantly. When i finally figured it out, the block was pretty much resting on the steering rack.

#7 ·
Ugh, i bet that isn't too bad. Hmm? >: / well I'm taking it to the shop that installed the clutch kit last time, and seing what they think the issue is - even though I'm sure they'll lie to me. >: / Maybe I should go and get some other mechanics opinion first and then consider going to them after that.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Halon@Aug 11 2004, 09:46 PM
Ugh, i bet that isn't too bad. Hmm? >: / well I'm taking it to the shop that installed the clutch kit last time, and seing what they think the issue is - even though I'm sure they'll lie to me. >: / Maybe I should go and get some other mechanics opinion first and then consider going to them after that.
If you go to another shop, try and find one that knows BMW's well.

#10 ·
lol the only reason i didnt reply is cuz i dint kno wat to say :p lol otherwise i totally wulda! hav u gotten anything from seam yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.