UPDATE on the flywheel Question dual mass or single mass!@!@!@!@! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
(Thread Starter)
UPDATE on the flywheel Question dual mass or single mass!@!@!@!@!

i has a 1986 325es and it originally had a dual mass flywheel in it(springs inside flywheel not on clutch) and i put on a single mass flywheel(With a new clutch of course ) and it works fine(it is lighter i guess faster revving i guess) but it is solved a single mass flywheel works on an engine that had a dual mass flywheel

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
ya it fits, my 84 E30 didnt come with a dual mass

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
(Thread Starter)
it was like 5/86<(not sure of date) and on had dual mass flywheels

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Neutral Member

joshh is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds right. I have an 86 and it doesn';t have a dual mass it does however have a twin mass. Which is heavy as hell.

Finally pulled the M50 from the donor car.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
LMAO twin mass is dual mass

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Neutral Member

Most people think so but they have the names mixed up and think they are the same. The dual mass is the one that has the springs and is a two part flywheel. The Twin mass is just way thicker than the I flywheel.

#7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

right, which in reffering to them they are the same thing, overweight pieces of crap...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Neutral Member

That's great but there is a difference.

#9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

cool, you get a cookie

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
The words dual and twin mean pretty much the samething.

If you order a dual mass and a twin mass flywheel for a BMW of the same year and model you will get the exact same part.

Alex

Here's my card if you have any other parts questions

#11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

lol [/thread]

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Neutral Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
The words dual and twin mean pretty much the samething.

If you order a dual mass and a twin mass flywheel for a BMW of the same year and model you will get the exact same part.

Alex

Here's my card if you have any other parts questions

"Pretty much the same thing"...lol.
But they are not the same as the parts are not the same.
Well of course if you order a part for a car of a specific year you will get the part for THAT car....
LuK | Products | Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)
They are not the same...even if you are a BMW tech you may not know this....
Common miss conception in the BMW world.

#13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:43 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
If you request a dual mass flywheel for a 92 325i then call back and request twin mass flywheel for that same car you are going to get the EXACT same part, with EXACTLY the same part #. Model to model they may called different but they both do the exact same thing. They help dampen vibrations from the engine and help dampen shock from shifting hard. Its the same thing the springs in a non-dual/twin mass clutch disc do. In general a solid flywheel is a solid flywheel, and multi piece flywheel is a multi piece flywheel.

Now as far as running the single mass in a dual mass car, yeah you can do it, the pressure plate makes up for the difference in height. This is why you have to get the clutch kit that goes with that flywheel, otherwise the distance for the throw out bearing is going to be off and the clutch probably won't release/engage right. Twin mass flywheel PP is going to be thinner than the single mass wheel.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Neutral Member

Of course you are because they don't care what it's called. You're asking for a 86 325E flywheel you will get the flywheel for that car, they don't care what it's called.
The 86E flywheel is often called a dual mass flywheel...it's not so. it is a twin mass flywheel...it has no moving parts yet it is thicker than the I flywheel..thus the "twin".

#15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Neutral Member

Frankly, it doesn't really matter what anyone wants to call it the thicker flywheels are just thicker flywheels. It someone wants to call a dual mass a twin mass and vise versa, so be it. It gets confusing anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)