Unique and confusing as heck - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
terry717 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Unique and confusing as heck

Okay have a 90 325i, just picked it up a couple weeks ago. Other than needing a tune up it was driving fine. I noticed when I bought it that it needed an oil filler cap as the old one was pretty busted up. Here's the quandary I'm having since I replaced the oil cap. It drove fine after putting it on going to pick up my son and a couple in town runs..we get home, and 2 hours later it acts like its run out of gas. You all know the sound of running out of gas the more you try to start it it basically drains the fuel out of the line and stops even trying to fire. So the next day I go out and it starts right up. Ran up town just fine again, get home and about 4 hrs later, the same thing. But today no firing. Are there relays I should be checking? Could the oil cap have changed vacuum on something? I know yesterday when I started it, I pulled the cap when running, and it acts likes it's going to stall, is this normal? Any ideas on where I should start? I know there is fuel in it. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Fuel Pump relays keep failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry717 View Post
Okay have a 90 325i, just picked it up a couple weeks ago. Other than needing a tune up it was driving fine. I noticed when I bought it that it needed an oil filler cap as the old one was pretty busted up. Here's the quandary I'm having since I replaced the oil cap. It drove fine after putting it on going to pick up my son and a couple in town runs..we get home, and 2 hours later it acts like its run out of gas. You all know the sound of running out of gas the more you try to start it it basically drains the fuel out of the line and stops even trying to fire. So the next day I go out and it starts right up. Ran up town just fine again, get home and about 4 hrs later, the same thing. But today no firing. Are there relays I should be checking? Could the oil cap have changed vacuum on something? I know yesterday when I started it, I pulled the cap when running, and it acts likes it's going to stall, is this normal? Any ideas on where I should start? I know there is fuel in it. Thanks in advance!
Update: Okay since this post I have figured out that it is going through FP relays. I can put a good one in, drive it maybe 5 min shut it off, and the relay doesn't want to work again. I can get it back home by bypassing the relay with a wire in corresponding relay pin plugs..pump comes right on but of course runs continually. 1) The wire doesn't seem to get hot, so is this going to hurt anything? 2) All of this started happening after changing the OIL CAP...how does this make sense...anyone? 3) everything I have researched only shows me I have the one pump in the tank..do I have the one outside the tank as well on my 325i? Is the new cap supposed to be vented, as the other one I replaced was broken up, obviously creating a huge vent.

The only conclusion I am coming to, if it's feasible as I read it on another post is maybe there is too much vacuum in the tank for the pump to draw and the relay runs enough to stop working?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined as far as cars, but this is baffling me. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

k.sidlosky is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to k.sidlosky
Maybe a bad pcv. The cap was busted to help with the vacuum and now its running shitty. I would look into that.

Also look into getting a new relay.

|Dinan Intake|Schrick Cams|24lb Injectors|809 HFM|M50 Manifold|TMS Stage IV+|Dinan Strut Brace|Samco Hoses|UUC Pulley||UUC SSK DSSR|DDM Coilovers|Fikse FM10|Brembo Rotors|Hawk Pads|AA Exhaust|Alpine|Audiobahn|Sony|
#4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:02 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
pcv maybe, didn't check it

don't want to keep sticking 7-8 bucks into relays if they only last one 5 - 10 minute trip. Is it going to hurt anything to put the jumper wire in the place where the relay sits just to keep the pump on all the time when driving, until I narrow it down more? I really need the car for work, and don't get funds to fix it until the weekend.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

k.sidlosky is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to k.sidlosky
The only thing I see it hurting is the fuel pump itself, if you keep the pump constantly running it could burn up. I would say go for it.

|Dinan Intake|Schrick Cams|24lb Injectors|809 HFM|M50 Manifold|TMS Stage IV+|Dinan Strut Brace|Samco Hoses|UUC Pulley||UUC SSK DSSR|DDM Coilovers|Fikse FM10|Brembo Rotors|Hawk Pads|AA Exhaust|Alpine|Audiobahn|Sony|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)