BMW Werkz banner

Turbo can I put into my car?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  LondonE30-318iS 
#1 ·
I found a Turbo diesel 5 series at the Junk Yard, I looked at it and it looks like tit may be compatible with my 89' 325. Does any one know the mods that need to be done to install the turbo or it can it be done all together. Any help will be appreciated. :cheers

#2 ·
Well, yeah, pretty much anything is possible if you're willing to pay for it. Namely, you'd need a lower-compression setup with a new camshaft and probably cams, new intake box and all kinds of exhaust goodies, then the pistons themselves...

I'm not real literate about this kind of stuff, but there was a guy in an '88 325i at my mechanic's last time my dad was there and said mechanic had a long list of reasons he shouldn't bother with a turbo.

But hey, if you've got the cash and you're not planning on selling the car anytime in the forseeable future, I'd go for it.

#3 ·
Originally posted by Aether@Mar 26 2004, 10:40 PM
Well, yeah, pretty much anything is possible if you're willing to pay for it. Namely, you'd need a lower-compression setup with a new camshaft and probably cams, new intake box and all kinds of exhaust goodies, then the pistons themselves...

I'm not real literate about this kind of stuff, but there was a guy in an '88 325i at my mechanic's last time my dad was there and said mechanic had a long list of reasons he shouldn't bother with a turbo.

But hey, if you've got the cash and you're not planning on selling the car anytime in the forseeable future, I'd go for it.
you dont need to run lower comperession unless you are trying to get some major boost out of it. it is recommeded but you dont need unless crazy ass boost

#4 ·
Originally posted by e36_m3_Turbo+Mar 27 2004, 12:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (e36_m3_Turbo @ Mar 27 2004, 12:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Aether@Mar 26 2004, 10:40 PM

you dont need to run lower comperession unless you are trying to get some major boost out of it. it is recommeded but you dont need unless crazy ass boost [/b][/quote]
yep exactly. but i'd like to see u boost that bitch up to like 28 psi. You'd need major engine mods. Go for it.

#5 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power+Mar 26 2004, 11:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (///M Power @ Mar 26 2004, 11:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by e36_m3_Turbo@Mar 27 2004, 12:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Aether
@Mar 26 2004, 10:40 PM
Well, yeah, pretty much anything is possible if you're willing to pay for it.  Namely, you'd need a lower-compression setup with a new camshaft and probably cams, new intake box and all kinds of exhaust goodies, then the pistons themselves...

you dont need to run lower comperession unless you are trying to get some major boost out of it. it is recommeded but you dont need unless crazy ass boost
yep exactly. but i'd like to see u boost that bitch up to like 28 psi. You'd need major engine mods. Go for it. [/b][/quote]
i havent seen a bmw with 28psi of boost.but most i have seen is 22psi of boost

#6 ·
Originally posted by e36_m3_Turbo@Mar 27 2004, 12:25 AM
Consider that it's a fifteen-year-old car.
If he's going to turbocharge it, I don't think the original pistons will hold on for long.

#7 ·
Originally posted by Aether+Mar 27 2004, 12:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aether @ Mar 27 2004, 12:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-e36_m3_Turbo@Mar 27 2004, 12:25 AM
If he's going to turbocharge it, I don't think the original pistons will hold on for long. [/b][/quote]
thats why you consider a rebuild not just a compression piston change

#9 ·
The BMW 6 cylinder TD used a different exhaust manifold pattern so some have hooked it up by slotting the mountings and leaving the gaskets off set.

Not a good deal if what you want is power.

Buying a manifold to work with the OE turbo is not possible, and making one is not a DIY project.

On the need for changes here is a link to an m30 engine designated m102 with over 500k and still pulling 500 hp daily.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/force...=1646379&page=2

Later,

#10 ·
That stuff is kinda obvious. You will definetly need a bigger exhaust and shit.

Also, I don't even think I have heard a BMW over liek 18 psi.

I know RX7's twin turbos can boost at hisgest like 38 psi. I'd just like to see a nic ebimmer be able to boost high.

#13 ·
QUOTE (Aether @ Mar 27 2004, 09:04 AM)
Not just a compression change, right.
You said he wouldn't need one at all.

if hes not trying to get some big boost out
'85 318i Posted on Mar 27 2004, 02:19 PM
i'd like to have my bimmer boost anything at all. i been thinking about goin for a junkyard turbo my self... i needs me the money to do it though...
///M Power Posted on Mar 27 2004, 01:35 PM
That stuff is kinda obvious. You will definetly need a bigger exhaust and shit.

Also, I don't even think I have heard a BMW over liek 18 psi.

I know RX7's twin turbos can boost at hisgest like 38 psi. I'd just like to see a nic ebimmer be able to boost high.
KC Ron Carter Posted on Mar 27 2004, 11:53 AM
The BMW 6 cylinder TD used a different exhaust manifold pattern so some have hooked it up by slotting the mountings and leaving the gaskets off set.

Not a good deal if what you want is power.

Buying a manifold to work with the OE turbo is not possible, and making one is not a DIY project.

On the need for changes here is a link to an m30 engine designated m102 with over 500k and still pulling 500 hp daily.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/force...=1646379&page=2

Later,
Aether Posted on Mar 27 2004, 10:04 AM
Not just a compression change, right.
You said he wouldn't need one at all.
e36_m3_Turbo Posted on Mar 27 2004, 02:38 AM
QUOTE (Aether @ Mar 27 2004, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (e36_m3_Turbo @ Mar 27 2004, 12:25 AM)

If he's going to turbocharge it, I don't think the original pistons will hold on for long.

thats why you consider a rebuild not just a compression piston change
Aether Posted on Mar 27 2004, 01:52 AM

e36_m3_Turbo Posted on Mar 27 2004, 12:43 AM
QUOTE (///M Power @ Mar 26 2004, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (Aether @ Mar 26 2004, 10:40 PM)

yep exactly. but i'd like to see u boost that bitch up to like 28 psi. You'd need major engine mods. Go for it.

i havent seen a bmw with 28psi of boost.but most i have seen is 22psi of boost
///M Power Posted on Mar 27 2004, 12:33 AM

e36_m3_Turbo Posted on Mar 27 2004, 12:25 AM

yes to all of that. :rock

#14 ·
You guys should know you get a far faster engine when you run medium compression pistons (in the low 8's:1) and low boost like 6-10 than with a low compression engine 7.5:1 and high boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.