Turbo? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 11:04 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
E30DTM87 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok, i have an old 325e and thinking about turboing my car and rebuliding the motor. My goal is to get the car read for HIN in chicago. I was wondering if there was anyone that could help me with some shit, like how to do the FPR and other various things. I want this car to be fast enough to go the Players Run or the Gumball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowman.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	18824  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 12:31 AM
n00b

EvilPenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not really sure on this... but is throwing a turbo on decade+ old motor really a good idea? I mean, if you really want to be cool, grab the E46 M3 engine (S54?) and throw it under the hood.

Comedy option: M5 engine.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 02:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPenguin@Mar 23 2005, 11:31 PM
I'm not really sure on this... but is throwing a turbo on decade+ old motor really a good idea? I mean, if you really want to be cool, grab the E46 M3 engine (S54?) and throw it under the hood.

Comedy option: M5 engine.
[snapback]317544[/snapback]
lots of people have turbo E30's and they're putting out more then ample power for the weight of the car. and dropping in a bigger engine will throw of weight distribution there is a few people running arround 300 RWHP arround and i think that is more then ample for the car seeing as these are soo bloody light. but it is a good idea to rebuild the engine if your going to starting spending serrious coin on it.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 01:28 AM
n00b

EvilPenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
As the EVOIII proves, 240bhp is more than sufficient. An M3 engine of the E30 era would be grand.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 01:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
four cylinder? yuk you can build a 6er to way more than 240 bhp and for alot cheaper than bulidin a s14
#6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 06:47 PM
n00b

TeamBarnet is an unknown quantity at this point
My mate has a 325i like me, he had a 75 bhp nitro injection on it... and it was RAPID, you can get 100 bhp nitro for about 15 more than he paid, might be worth looking at.

The only problem is you can't use it in first or second gear as it is too much power hence the wheels have a lot of spin, but the acceleration on the car is constantly fast up til however fast you want to take the car.

If you're in the UK I think you can get nitro kids from wizards of nitro who are an excellent professional company for around 250-300. The fitting was around 100. From 171 bhp to 271 bhp for around 350 though this is excellent.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 03:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
too bad you are ruining your engine every second you push that button, i definately wouldnt put nitro on a stock motor
#8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:24 PM
n00b

gbm2.7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally I would go with the turbo but i would have the engine rebuilt first, maybe even do major overhaul while im in there. of course I just hate bottle fed cars. Its bad for them.

<span style='colorurple'>Virginity is like bubble. One prick and its all gone.</span>
<span style='color:blue'>Memberg. 375 and 381 of &quot;its raining&quot; in members lounge</span>
<span style='color:green'>I love the smell of PB blaster in the morning.</span>
#9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by gbm2.7@Mar 28 2005, 05:24 PM
Personally I would go with the turbo but i would have the engine rebuilt first, maybe even do major overhaul while im in there. of course I just hate bottle fed cars. Its bad for them.
[snapback]320384[/snapback]
nitrous isnt any more damaging then turbocharging as its doing the same thing. if either is done incorrectly the engine will run lean and melt itself into slag. the downside being nitrous has to be re-filled, but there are some very very nice nitrous systems out there that feel just like a turbo that modify the ammount of juice they inject into the system based on engine rpm and arent simply on/off like some of the cheap systems.

ive seen them used with great sucess before, but as rule of thumb dont expect more then a 50% increase in power without a decent loss of longevity in a stock engine.

#10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 05:59 PM
n00b

BimmerBabylon is an unknown quantity at this point
I've dreamt of turboing my baby but haven't had the money or time to rebuild the engine before i did. But turboing is very achievable and very effective, something like 100+ more hp! also around $3,000, which is quite a barrier.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 07:41 PM
5th Gear Member

guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
either supercharge it http://www.machschnell.com/superchargers.html

or drop a m5 engine in it or a newer m3 or a s14 http://www.machschnell.com/e_30.html

or turbo
http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_catal.htm

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, &amp; 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
#12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Cellardoor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cellardoor
I think that a turbo would b fine, especaly if you are going to rebuild your engine. If you are really concerned about your engine life i would suggest bringing your car to a shop and having them rebuild the engine for you... but with much lower compression so that it is set up for the turbo rather then rebuilding it and then using a turbo kit to lower the compression. it will cost a little more but will be better for the engine in the long run. thats my plan for my baby at least.

-Hutch-

<span style='color:red'>Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totaly work out, loudly proclaiming &quot;Wow! What a ride!!&quot;.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>If life passes you by......downshift</span>
#13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:59 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
A turbo does the same thing as nitrous, increase cylinder pressure and add more fuel and air. A turbo does that mechanically by forcing more air in under boost, nitrous does it chemically. Also nitrous on its own is not flamable. You can hold a light ligher or match infront of a nitrouse bottle, open the bottle and the nitrouse will blow out the flame. And unlike in the movie the slow and courious the nitrous tanks will not explode in a fire, the tank will go above the pressure for the burst disc in the valve and the nitrous will just be released out of the tank, no explosion. An engine incorrectly set-up will fail with either power adder in a short ammount time. But a properly built engine will last a long time. The internal parts will be different for nitrous or turbo to get the most power but either power adder can be ran safely and reliabily with the right set-up.
#14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
turbo E30's are common, you just need to know what your doing like any other car that you would be turboing.

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
#15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Neutral Member

Hoody is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have to get a custom built header for turboing an e30? I haven't seen any mass produced ones around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)