Turbo From 324td Into 325i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2005, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Vahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Iam thisnking about trying to put a turbo from 324td into my 325i.
Any ideas?, links ?
thanx
Vahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2005, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
DLovett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to DLovett
Can be done, i know on a 320i you will hit around 180/200HP.

The manifold from the 324TD will NOT fit the M20 engine, you will need to mold or what the hell it's called. You'll need to modify it a bit, and use some more gaskets.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
there you go right there

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_catal.htm

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, & 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
guywithblack88e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by guywithblack88e30@Apr 30 2005, 08:09 AM
there you go right there

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_catal.htm
[snapback]339548[/snapback]
i'm in the process of modifying a 524td manifold to fit the m20. Its NOT easy, and it requires alot of welding/die grinding

you basically have to grind off the stock mounting area and weld onto it a stahl header mounting flange in its place.

if you dont completely remove both the top and bottom mounting points (dont be tempted to just relocated the bottom holes, even though the top holes line up because the exhaust port wont match 100%)
you'll burn up exhaust gaskets pretty quickly

but if you are a good welder/fabricator the 524td manifold/turbo setup is a good starting point, but its FAR from bolt on. my entire turbo setup has cost me less then $1000USD.

includes the following:
24/lb ford cobra/bosch injectors - $112
73mm MAF ford cobra 24/lb calibrated - $60 used
524td downpipe, turbo, manifold, imported from germany from ebay.de for $150USD
magnaflow 3" muffler + high flow cat - $150 ebay new
custom mandrel 3" system from local exhaust place $100
2004 saab 9-3x front mount air-to-air intercooler $150 new
random missing turbo piping, adapters, intercooler piping, oil lines, etc - $150

total: +/- $900

the total labor for all this is reaching 30 hours though. its NOT easy custom making a turbo if you are on a budget and doing everything out of your garage. but, it can be done. i'm hoping to find the time to finish up this thing in the next couple weeks hopefully.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Vahan is an unknown quantity at this point
And what about the resource of engine...
I have heard that the oil cooling system of engine mast be modified to give engine more than 20k lifetime
Vahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
well here's my question.........do you have the diesel motor? ie the crank and rods?

if you do, would you want to sell?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Vahan@May 1 2005, 09:46 PM
And what about the resource of engine...
I have heard that the oil cooling system of engine mast be modified to give engine more than 20k lifetime
[snapback]340018[/snapback]
i "borrowed" an oil cooler from a vortech supercharger kit for the hummer h2 we have at work. capable of cooling the oil on a 6.0L supercharged engine.. just the ticket for a 2.5L turbo

just waiting for adapters to come in the mail to adapt the m22x1.5 to 1/2" NPT fittings to adapt from the stock ports comming off the engine to fit the oil cooling kit.

the metric to NPT adapter needed I bought here:

www.mcmaster.com search for p/n 4936k161

you can find lots of them on ebay i'm sure. i'm putting the oil cooler inside the front of the nose of the car, behind the kidney grille. hopefully the radiator will still get enough air to not overheat with it located there.

ah, trial and error.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
xxxlegionaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Vahan@Apr 30 2005, 03:23 AM
Iam thisnking about trying to put a turbo from 324td into my 325i.
Any ideas?, links ?
thanx
[snapback]339480[/snapback]

First of all, dont turbo if you dont understand the dynamics and physics. Its easier to get caught up in it and not have enough money when things break....and they break quick and easy. Save an extra couple hundred on the side incase you blow your engine or something. Shit happens, especially if the vehicle wasnt turbo'd from the manufacturer. If you want some good information on turboing, read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.

Second, worry about your fuel mods before boosting. Bosch jetronic fuel systems arent that best for turboing. Youll need to research about the systems and figure out how to solve it. If you have a jetronic system, youll need to go find some Audi parts(cheapeast alternative) and swap them for what you have since their variable and bmws arent. Running lean on boost is possibly the worst idea. I think a guy who goes by Sage has some good material on his website about this stuff. Search for it on google, by using sage and bmw or any variation. He also has a yahoo club.

Third, machine shops will be most likely to work with you on welding things up if you cant weld or dont have a welder. A lot of shops will also build you anything you want if you bring or buy what you need and give them exact information. Just check with local shops..

Thats about it...a lot of information but its stuff to consider. Ive been turboing cars for a long while now and this is just the basics you should look into.

Greg Heart
xxxlegionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
all 325i's are motronic, not jetronic
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
xxxlegionaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for noting that. I was in a rush and didnt really apply what I just had read. I was just busy typing away. Anyways, do pay attention to your fuel mods.

Greg Heart
xxxlegionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)