BMW Werkz banner

trunk light, blew fuse 21...

9K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Starmavin 
#1 ·
So I was in the trunk trying to figure out why the trunk light has never worked. All the fuses WERE fine...but then I found some wires in the trunk that had been cut, and sure enough they were the trunk light wires.

I connect the wires to each other and the first thing I notice is the the light still doesn't work. Then I turn the car on to see if that has something to do with it, but then I notice that the radio and OBC no longer work either.

The #21 fuse is blown so that explains why the radio and OBC don't work....

My question is, why would connecting the trunk light blow the fuse?

Should I have unhooked the battery before I spliced the wires?

I have since unhooked the trunk light to prevent another blown fuse....should I try hooking it back up now??

thanks!

#3 ·
Check the wires at the hinge, here the wires see the most fatigue.

BTW, Go buy or pick up another trunk lamp from a salvage yard. BMW was nice enough to cut 2 holes in the trunk lid where you can install another lamp on the other side of the catch. Easily enough you can run wires across to the other lamp. Two lamps are better than one.

#5 · (Edited)
Hmm, if it blows only if hooked up then pull out the lamp, and take a quick look at the lamp and make sure that the bulb didn't pop off it's seat touching both terminals. Then probe with test lamp on the terminal with red/green wire and the ground (the battery is right there) if it lights up, then move it the range of the hinge. Look at the plug and see if the plastic cover isn't broken, these tend to rot off and touch things they are not ment too.

Just another thought, what way do the wires face, to the passenger side or the drivers side. If they face to the passenger side there could be a chance that the ground switch is touching the power wire.

Try these, if this doesn't work we will go deeper....

P.S. Don't forget to replace the fuse before testing... Been there, don't that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.