BMW Werkz banner

is this true of just B.S. ?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BMWJNKY 
#1 ·
on one of the other forums a guy claimed that there was a 50 lb weight in the rear of the 85 bmw 318i that could be removed, true or BS ? why would they do that ? thanks :confused:

#4 ·
in the 6 cylinder cars you will find varrying amounts of very thick very heavy sound deadening tar. my particular car had 36 pounds worth on the trunk floor. other people have found heavy plates in the spare tire well, and though i've never seen one there has been talk of a ballast under the battery in the trunk in some cars. the 318s didn't get any of it afaik, which is why most believe it to be a balancing item.

#7 ·
I've worked in a BMW shop for more than 2 years and I've never seen this. As many trunks as I have cleaned out to fix stuff in the battery well and taking spares out by now I would of seen one of these. The only thing that weighs a lot in the trunk is sound deadining.

The only posibality I can see is that some people that live where it snows may have added weight in the trunk to get better traction but this is definatly not a BMW part.

#8 ·
yes there is some kind of 50lb weight in the trunk of some e30s it is "supposed to offset the weight of the driver". I did not come in all e30s

#10 ·
daxsandman said:
yes there is some kind of 50lb weight in the trunk of some e30s it is "supposed to offset the weight of the driver". I did not come in all e30s
Show me the # from ETK. As many times as I have looked up parts for my car and coustomer cars I have NEVER seen a weight for the trunk. If it soposed to offset the weight of the driver why does it only weigh 50 pounds? When you weight a car for an alignment it shows to put 150 pounds in each front seat. So to me the weight would have to weigh 150 pounds and mount somewhere on the right side of the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.