Too, too HOT. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 04:16 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drcrougeux is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Too, too HOT.

HELP, PLS.

I have a 1988 325 IC Convertible.
a/c blows hot...worked two days ago and blew cool.

Diagnosis is : need new expansion valve....

ok. Where is the old/current expansion valve and how to remove & replace it ?

The new part is $20.
So I need to locate the old one for removal.
Do hope is't not a 15 hr job to remove/replace a $20. part......

pls advise. Soon...it's 108 degrees, today in Sacramento, Calif

Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:07 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
If that is what you belive it is. Remove the glove box and plastic covers, under there follow the A/C lines into a cover, in there you'll find the expansion valve and evaporator, be very carefull it is easy to put too much power into breaking them loose and damage the evaporator lines. Once loose, pull the evaporator half way out and remove the expansion valve anti-icing probe.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:43 AM
Neutral Member

and0pand0 is on a distinguished road
asdfas

God damn, with this heat latley in Cali, it makes me wanna fix my AC too =( But I need a retrofit kit for r-12 to r-134a for my system. Anyone know how much those cost and/or what parts are involved? Im pretty sure it's reciever/dryer + expansion valve + oil right?
#4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:39 AM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
It's all of those things plus a good system flush and I would definitly reccomend changing all the o-rings and gaskets at that point too, if you want it to last! And remember to only refill the system to about 80% of the original R-12 spec. as R-134 has a different expansion rate than the R-12 had and your pressures will be too high if you fill it to 100% of R-12 spec.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
I just wanna complain about the heat too.

I was friggin 105 degrees today in San Diego.

My compressor is on the floor in my garage.

car is like an oven.

but it hauls but. ha ha

It was froze stiff. LOL

Bavauto has a compressor kit 900+ bucks ughh
but it looks like it has all the parts.
and dang the idividual parts are expensive ie hoses ets ugh

Maybe next summer.

Cheers,
Richard Fitz
'87 325is Delphin Metalic

#6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 AM
n00b

smokinE_30 is on a distinguished road
I live on the panhandle of FL. got my e30 about 2 months ago. A/C did not work and every day its 90 degs. + with 70-80% humidity, friggin HOT! Turns out my a/c switch was not working. Took it apart cleaned the contacts re-installed and it blew cool but not cold. When I looked in my sight glass on the drier I saw many bubbles and learned that meant low freon. Bought a cheap gauge and sure enough only had about half a pound of r-12( never was converted to r-134). I topped it off with some 134a I had sitting on the shelf, sprayed out my condenser with garden hose, added a toggle switch to the high speed temp sensor on the radiator and it works great. Even sitting in traffic I just flip the aux. fan on high and it feels almost as cold as when I am running 55 mph on the highway. I know what some of you are thinking about combining r-12 and r134, but I did it 1. because I couldnt afford to do it the "right" way and 2. wanted to see for myself how long it would last. It has been a few weeks a no problems except the bulbs in the a/c switch are blown and cant find replacements.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear Member

JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
Its 110 where I live. You can smell my ass burning on the black leather and no A/C heat box of mine.

86 Alpine White 335is M30 Swap <br>My Car Domain
ASE L1 Smog Certified

#8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 04:35 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinE_30
I live on the panhandle of FL. got my e30 about 2 months ago. A/C did not work and every day its 90 degs. + with 70-80% humidity, friggin HOT! Turns out my a/c switch was not working. Took it apart cleaned the contacts re-installed and it blew cool but not cold. When I looked in my sight glass on the drier I saw many bubbles and learned that meant low freon. Bought a cheap gauge and sure enough only had about half a pound of r-12( never was converted to r-134). I topped it off with some 134a I had sitting on the shelf, sprayed out my condenser with garden hose, added a toggle switch to the high speed temp sensor on the radiator and it works great. Even sitting in traffic I just flip the aux. fan on high and it feels almost as cold as when I am running 55 mph on the highway. I know what some of you are thinking about combining r-12 and r134, but I did it 1. because I couldnt afford to do it the "right" way and 2. wanted to see for myself how long it would last. It has been a few weeks a no problems except the bulbs in the a/c switch are blown and cant find replacements.
Enjoy it while it lasts, 134A eats R12 O-rings with out the conversion oil. I would advise saving money for new receiver/drier and new O-rings soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)