Tokiko suspension experience? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
(Thread Starter)
Tokiko suspension experience?

Looking to completely rebuild my suspension soon and I'm looking for an affordable set of springs and dampers to complete my parts stash before I begin. Billies are too pricey for me... although I would prefer them and a nice set of H&R's! I found a comlete setup of Tokiko sport springs and Blue struts and shocks on E-bay for $325.00 shipped! Sounds like a great deal to me but I don't really have much experience with Tokiko stuff on German cars. So anyone out there have any reservations or does this sound good to you guys too? Oh and I'm not racing it or anything, just want a better stance and a little improvement on the handling side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Thats what I have on my e30 and I like how the spring/dampeners feel together. Stock bushings/sways.

Hasn't yet sagged or anything, had them on for a year and a half now.

Im going with eibach/bilstein for my e34, but the tokicos work well for a very tight feel, if it isnt just a tiny bit harsh.

One caveat though: you WILL pop your oil pan going over speed bumps unless very careful. E30's oil pans are just so exposed that when lowered they are just asking to be destroyed. I'd recommend havin some sort of oil pan protection made.

#3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Sounds like a good deal then! I take it you've had some experience with the oil pan issue before? I wouldn't think that an 1.25" drop would interfere that much... I'd hate to have found out the hard way though! I really appreciate your info! Anyone else with any insight?
#4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear Member

egk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
The previous owner had Tokicos installed on the car when I bought
it, although it handled ok at best, eventually the fronts blew out and pissed
all over my front wheels, I've since then went with Bilstein sports and Kw springs, what a huge improvement in handling, so much tighter and solid,
I say find a low miles set of Bilsteins and some better springs instead, do it right the first time, whenever I try to save money and go cheap I usually end up kicking myself in the ass for it later.

2.8L M20 Stroker
#5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
^^ and now look at you. :

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Anybody out there got any good used billies for sale? How about some nice Vogtlands or H&R's? I'd like to go that direction but can't fit it into the budget for new ones!
#7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM
n00b

d:\program is on a distinguished road
I have the Tokico/Eibach setup which lowers it 1.25". I knew the ride was going to be harsh but it is rough. It could be the fact that I live in the dirty south and the Memphis Mayor is too busy getting kickbacks to ensure we have nice streets. How hard is it to "blow out" your shocks? I have yet to scrape the oil pan though... I always wondered if was possible to fabricate another oilpan...

1991 325i
17" Mini Cooper S-Lite Wheels
Lowered 1.25" - Eibach springs - Tokico Shocks
1 degree offset front upper shock mounts
#8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear Member

egk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by d:\program
I have the Tokico/Eibach setup which lowers it 1.25". I knew the ride was going to be harsh but it is rough. It could be the fact that I live in the dirty south and the Memphis Mayor is too busy getting kickbacks to ensure we have nice streets. How hard is it to "blow out" your shocks? I have yet to scrape the oil pan though... I always wondered if was possible to fabricate another oilpan...
I guess it's all subjective, eibachs are probably the softest lowering springs
out there. I used to have the same set up and felt that the car was too
soft and floaty, the drop was nice though. I blew out the fronts from normal
daily driving. The oil pans on e30's are dangerously low and exposed but there is an oem skid plate that can be installed to guard it. Fabricate another oil pan? Easier to buy a new one.

2.8L M20 Stroker
#9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Tokico's =

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Koni > Tokico. Bilstien > koni. Tein EDFC > *

Too bad they only have it for E36/46 so far.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.

Last edited by triggrhaapi; 06-27-2006 at 07:43 PM.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
For sho

EDFC > *

#12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
I read about them in Sport Compact Car, or maybe it was European Car, whatever, are they as nice as they say?

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Keep it Copacetic

It's the mere convenience of using EDFC. Dampening control electronically from inside your car. Noone else can offer than, but like Jason said, it's only on te e36 and e46 and not compatible with their Tein Basic coilovers.

#14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Neutral Member

Skatebline is on a distinguished road
how would the bilstein bts sport shock and spring set be for sporty feel? or are the bilstein springs sh*ty? or is the set not worth $640 and i should just get the shock set and keep the eibach srings or buy diff/better springs???

#15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
My BMW mechanic said Tokicos are the worst KYB's the second worst.
Bilsteins rule (sp?)
Koni's are good too.
Boge/Sachs OK for stock replacements

He recommended the HD's for stock sports with new springs.

I got Bilstein sports and Suspension Tecniques springs and love it
1.3" lower front and rear.
got new shock mounts front and back
got off camber front mounts so I get a little more camber on the front shocks. nice (about same cost)

Coil overs would be nice too. ask StarMavin a few more $$s

I'd go even lower if I could do it over but you have to watch out for the steering geometry.
too low and steering goes past flat and sends you off the track into the kitty litter. LOL
But this can be corrected too. I'm told

I'm told a big factor in keepiing the car flat is bigger stiffer sway bars and bushings, I'm running stock right now.
Seems OK.
Maybe when I get finished with the motor etc..

Oh well thats my 2 cents

Get the Eibach Pro Kit...

Cheers,
Richard Fitz
'87 325is Delphin Metalic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)