Tires rubbing fenders!!! Should I roll or replace? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
eMPHAsis is on a distinguished road
Tires rubbing fenders!!! Should I roll or replace?

I got my e30 not too long ago, and think it's about time to address this issue:

My tires like to rub whenever i:
-take a hard turn
-go over speedbumps, potholes, broken L.A. roads, ect.
-Carry more than about 150lbs in the back seats lol

To the best of my knowledge,
these are the specs i'm working with:
-1.5" lowering kit. (According to the previous owner. suspension feels a little bit on the softer side)
-250/50/16 tires
-16" rims (rims info was painted over/blanked out, but that's just deductive reasoning from tire specs.)

Not sure If I should:
- try rolling my fenders (the space between the tires and fender lining is pretty narrow, but workable. I think...)
or
-Just buy smaller tires...
(I REALLY LIKE the way the car sits on it's current wheels. Can't EPHASIZE that enough. It looks really fat)

Additionally:
-The back tires like to rub a lot more than the front. (Tire logo is erasing in the back, but still new in the front)

-The paint seems to be a bit chipped around one of the front fenders
It looks like the front fenders might have been rolled a little bit.
According to my cousin, who does body work, the fenders can still be rolled a bit.

-If anybody knows a good shop/connect that in the greater L.A. area they could recommend/ vouch for, it would be greatly appreciated

-Thought about upgrading to adjustable camber, but mehh. I'd just end up eating the back tires on the exact opposite location than where they're being eaten now... $$$$

Pulling really isn't an option
eMPHAsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Replacing your fenders won't solve the problem. You should roll them. I have the same issue with my front fenders because I have 18" wheels. You should roll them before the paint starts cracking like mine did.

Check what springs you have. A manufacturer stamps their products to identify them. Depending on what springs you have you may e able to go with a taller spring to increase the gap a bit. If you think the ride is to soft check your shocks and do the rebound test. It may be time to replace them. Depending in what shocks the car has they may have adjustable dampening if thei yellow Koni's.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
eMPHAsis is on a distinguished road
So I ended up rolling my back fenders. Helped a bunch! But i'm still rubbing.
Think i might end up getting slightly smaller tyres. Maybe something like 195/50/16 s
eMPHAsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)