BMW Werkz banner

timing belt change and mechanics in miami

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DJProfessor 
#1 ·
i just got a 87 325e and I would like to know if anyone here recommends a good mechanic from the miami area. i would like to change the timing belt and water pump give the valves an adjustment and change all the fluids.

just the water pump and timing belt i got an estimate for 400 dollars from a independent shop. i need something cheaper than that. i am not a mechanic but i can change light bulbs and change a battery. is changing the timing belt easy for a light diyer?

also my air conditioner is starting to blow cold and it is the old r12. do you think it is worth changing it t r134 or adding more r12. they both cost the same.90 bucks. or if anybody is willing to change my timing belt and water pump i could pay them for it.

#2 ·
For the timing belt change, if you are a light DIY'er, I think it is just on the verge of your level of comfort. http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/JF-Tech/BMW_E30_3_Series_Timing_belt_change.htm

Take a look at that article, and see for yourself if you want to undertake it.
As for recharging your system... R12 is the SAME PRICE as R134 in FLA??????
It is like $90 per pound or more up her in Atlanta, but an r134 recharge kit with 3 or 4 pounds is like $50! If you can get r12 cheap, I say just recharge the system with r12, since the 134 conversion takes time and MONEY!

Josh

#3 ·
if you don't want to spend the $400 for the shop to do it, might want to think twice about doing it yourself, as if you do it incorrectly it could end up costing you like three times that to fix what you bent/broke.....just some food for thought. personally i think a timing belt is over a "first timer's" head.

and if your R12 system is leaking/low putting dye in the system is a good idea to run down leaks and fix your problem. older car owners tend to forget that you SHOULDN'T need to be recharging your system every summer. find what leaks, fix it, and you should be good for many years to come. if R12 is the same cost as 134 where you are, i say do it. R12 cools much better........however it is fast becoming as hard to find as an 18yo virgin in a public school in places so doing the 134 conversion may not be a half bad option for when the system finally craps......*insert can of worms* there are two schools of thought when it comes to doing the conversion....the compressor and line replacers (me) or the others that just convert the fittings and slap a blend in there and call it a day (and hope for the best)....

#4 ·
Good Point DJ, there is a thread a few pages back that is 3-5 pages long that is nothing but a back and forth about the "replacers" versus the "charge and hopers". I tend to agree with DJ on this one, leak check your system, fix any leaks, and rehcarge with r12!

Josh W.

Oh, and DJ...
MMMMM MMMMMM BITCH!

#6 ·
88 timing belt and tensor is better for the 87.

i heard that the 88 eta timingbelt and tensor is being retrofitted on 87 eta because is takes less drag on the sistem.is this true?could i do this? also should i change with the timing belt and tensor, the 3 drivebelts:are power steering, ac, alternator. also the 2 main crankshaft oil seals and the water pump and radiator hoses? i think so to take advantage of the availability to the area. by the way i called for pricesabout tiiming belt change and the independent bmw shops charge from 280 to 400 dollars. I called the bmw dealer and the quoted me 190 dollars. why is the stealership cheaper? thats is weird.arent they supposed to be more expensive.

#7 ·
(dealership price...) not necessarily is it always higher.......the reason it is lower is because they are charging less time to do it. i bet they asked an old timer what the rate is for it and he told them. and hell if they are only charging you like $190 for it i would be jumping all over it.

and i have never heard about the "less drag on the system" the 88 is the super eta year and i for one would think they are different, ie the pulleys and such. and that being said, i don't see how the 87 could have "more drag on the system".......it sounds like all sorts of sillyness, why would BMW make something that hinders the engine's ability to function properly? and if this was a super mod why wouldn't everyone be doing it? basically i question the fool that told you this (and i pity him too)......i am (and countless others probably) are rocking the stock recommended pulley and belt set ups and have no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.