timing belt - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jfertita is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
timing belt

Ok, so i just checked my engine compartment for any service stickers put on and according to the last timing belt sticker my belt was last changed at 147,000 miles. i have over 200,000 now im really surprised it hasnt snapped and destroyed my engine. so i need to get this changed asap.

It seems like it is going to be a pretty complicated task, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Im sort of a newbie at BMWs so i will take all the help i can get. Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
they say it's always a good idea to change out the water pump at the same time....it's cheap and you'll be up there anyways.....

It's not too hard of a job...I'd say get the bently manual and follow it....that's all I needed and it was my first timing belt job....

good luck...

#3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:56 PM
n00b

tomzzy is on a distinguished road
timing belt replacement instructions

for instructions check this out:
BMW E30 Network: Technical articles
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
i appreciate everyones help thanks guys

a friend of mine's brother owns a mechanic shop and i had him estimate how much it would cost to change the timing belt and water pump. it came out to 210 if i brought in the parts, im still trying to decide what to do.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:43 PM

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
a local shop quoted me $400 for timing belt and water pump...so 210 + $30 (timing belt and tensioner pully)+ $50 (water pump)....your looking at $280.....that's a better deal then I could find....

Next time my timing belt needs replacement...I think I'd pay someone to do it....it beats gettin' dirty and going through all the head ache to change it yourself....most people on here would say do it your self...but I vote to pay...

#6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, that is a pretty good deal i guess. I just don't want to have to fork out 210 for no reason. I have been researching it online for a couple of weeks now and i think i could do it with no problem, i just have to take my time.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM

yea like I said...it's not that bad, so you can for sure do it yourself.........but if you don't like to get dirty then pay some else to do it...

#8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
ok so i went to purchase my timing belt today and the guy at the counter asked me if my sprokets were 127 tooth or 128 tooth, i had NO idea there was a difference...how do i find out which one i have? besides taking the belt off because i still have to drive the car
#9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Hmmmmm.....I don't know....I just ordered mine from bav auto and they sent me which ever one I needed....

at bavauto.com you get the belt and tensioner pulley for $30...don't know what you were going to pay the other dude....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)