Tail Light Issue - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
(Thread Starter)
Tail Light Issue

So after I did the bumper swap on my 88iS, I had to use small bumper turn signals(obviously), but they use a different female plug then the 88's.

So, I broke apart the original male plug of my car's turn signals(cleanly), and plugged them in correctly..The turn signals worked! BUT!! My driver side turn signal would not go into "Running" mode.

Also, now my Driver Side Tail Light does not work. All the fuses are good, and I replaced the Tail Light Bulb..but it still wont turn on and I get the indicator on my panel next to the rear view mirror.

Any suggestions before I turn it into a Mech Shop?

Maybe play with the wires that I plugged into the turn signal? That is the only thing I can think of..so I'll mess with it.

Also, I tried using my friends Light Plate(the thing that holds all the tail light bulbs) on my car, and the tail light is still out(all the other lights work, just not the RUnning Light).

Anyone?

-Dan

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Did you switch the bulbs to either side?

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:00 AM

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
yup, tried so many different combos...new bulbs i purchased match the old ones perfectly. driver side front and rear running lights just wont go on.

L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.

#4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:19 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
.... sounds like a fuse...... not sure though......DB check them....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
weird, if anything is sounds like the wires are backwards or something but i didnt have any issues with my swap, did you get both pieces of the late connectors? male and female? or did you just twist some wires together? lol

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
I'm not sure why you are having a problem with the side markers. The side markers that fit the plastic bumpers also fit the late almn. bumpers so you should not of had to swap anything. For the tail light check the pins in the bulb carrier where it plugs into the tail light. You can remove the connector with the pins in it from the tail light, its just held in with plastic clips. Make sure all the contacts are clean. Also make sure you have the right wattage and type of bulb in the carriers.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
ohh good call i was thinking he meant turn signals...the side markers are the same, he is correct

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
The rear side marker works just fine, but the front one doesn't, I haven't replaced it yet though. I will do that soon.

I did not buy both pieces for the turn signals, I actually broke apart the original male plug, and took the wires out(pre-crimped actually), and they sort of slid right over the 3 pins in the turn signal housing. But I will go purchase the small-bumper male housing tomorrow.

Thanks..I'll keep you updated.

#9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get your problem now. I just didn't read your post right the first time, I kept thinking you were only having an issue with the side markers. Easiest fix is to just go to the junk yard and cut off the pig-tail for the front turn signal from an 89+ car to use with the later style of turn signal. You might be able to make it work with what you are doing but it might take a while with trial and error.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

ya alex and i did mine in a matter of minutes

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 AM

(Thread Starter)
Alright I think I got it, but I will trial and error when I go home for xmas next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)