BMW Werkz banner

Sway Bar?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kowalski 
#1 ·
So I'm an idiot and have been chasing this "popping" noise around the front end of my 89 325i. It "pops" turning corners and going over little bumps in the road. Kind of sounds like something is just loose, so I've been under there tightening everything but the sound wasn't going away. So today I took off the passenger side tire and then took off the bracket to, what I think is called, the sway bar. You know that bar that is hooked to the control arm on both front tires. Anyways now I can't the dadgumed bracket back on. I don't mean the part that actualy connects it to the control arm-I'm talking about the peice that holds the "sway bar bushing" and holds the bar to the frame of the car. You have to "tuck" one side of the bracket in a slot and then screw down the other end, but the pressure is too much and I can't get it back in there....

is there a special way of getting this s.o.b. back on there?

(from now on this mechanic work will be left for the shop to do....not me....)

#2 ·
Is your car on jacks or resting on the ground? When I replaced my sway bar links I had the car on the ground and the just bolted right in. Sometimes you have to adjust the sway bar link so it's flush with the sway bar. Hope this helps if any?!?!?

#4 ·
Originally posted by yammahamma@Jul 5 2005, 09:18 PM
it's on jacks...I'll try putting the tire back on and then setting her on the ground. I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit under it like that though...
[snapback]359983[/snapback]​

you can leave it on jacks and just jack up the controll arm and then bolt it on.... saves you time and getting under the car when its on the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.