Stress-boring? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
daklunk is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Stress-boring?

I was reading a thread on e30 tech about preparations for turboing an M10 and it was suggested that the person should get lower compression pistons and have the block stress-bored. Now, I knew about the lower comp pistons, but "stress-boring" is new to me and a search on Google and it turned up something from a Skyline forum. From what I read, it has something to do with a procedure that prevents the block from deforming...

But what exactly is this procedure and what does it entail? Is it spendy? I'm thinking about a turbo M10... :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Its called honing with a torque plate, the stress from fully torqued head bolts can distort the cyl bores. A torque plate is a mock cyl head that has large open holes where the pistons go, they torque down the torque plate to the head bolt specs. These holes allows the cyl bores to be honed while under torque stress. Then after this is complete and you install you head and torque it to specs it'll distort the cyl back to where it was honeing was done, bring it back to a near perfect radius. Allowing the piston rings to seat completely for the full stroke.

Being one that builds high performance motors and going to take my ASE master machinist tests soon, I highly recommend this procedure.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Neutral Member

daklunk is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Ah, OK. That makes perfect sense. Thank you, sir! I'm browsing through VAC Motorsports right now and they have an M10/S14 torque honing plates, and that makes me wounder, will I need to buy one of these before taking the block to the machine shop?

Is it all right if I ask you some questions via email, Starmavin? I'm going to look into this a bit more, but I know I'm still going to have a lot of questions...

Thank you very much!
#4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:23 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by daklunk
Ah, OK. That makes perfect sense. Thank you, sir! I'm browsing through VAC Motorsports right now and they have an M10/S14 torque honing plates, and that makes me wounder, will I need to buy one of these before taking the block to the machine shop?
As far as having to buy one, you shouldn't have to buy one, any shop that has the know-how or experience should already have one or access to one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daklunk
Is it all right if I ask you some questions via email, Starmavin? I'm going to look into this a bit more, but I know I'm still going to have a lot of questions...
I don't mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)