Strange noise when pushing the brake pedal ??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 08:12 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rxkevco is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Strange noise when pushing the brake pedal ???

Will try to keep it short,,,,
316i,,,89,,, E30,,,, been garaged since august last year.
Just out today for a spring clean and a blow out on the motorway,,,, went like a dream,,, but i have discovered a couple o problems,,,

1/ When the car is turned off and you press the brake pedal down, you hear this stange whooshing sound coming from the passenger footwell,, almost like air escaping,,,, i dont ever remember hearing this before,, but it doesnt sound very healthy.
Had a few brake lines replaced last year just prior to going in for hibernation, and the guys at the garage said the brakes were in fine fettle after its mot.
I did however notice that the brake warning light had come on whist out on the blowout. Didnt notice any problems braking,,, stopping distances are as i remember them from last year,,, Any ideas,,,,,?????

2/ Cant get the passenger door open at all.
The handle outside seems ok but wont open the car,, the interior door release handle wont open it either. The key doesnt open the door,, and i cant even push in or pull out the central locking door pin ,, its stuck,,????
The central locking still opens and closes the drivers side and boot locks,, its just the passenger door,,,
Any ideas ????

Should have done a seperate post for the door problem,,, but what the hell,, see if i can get help for both problems,,

Reall would appreciate a bit of help on these problems,,
Thanks for reading,,,,, cheers,,, kev.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
the central locking could be a fuse. I can't remember which one.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi,idsbeaker,,,
Thanks for the reply,,, If its a fuse,, why would the rest of the central locking work,, and the problem just affect one door ????
Cheers,,, kev.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 10:52 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
1: Power brake booster is bad.

2: Good chance your locking mech is stuck, have someone work your central locking mech while you have your ear on (yes on) the door to listen if the servo is trying to work. Next, spray an ample amount of PB blaster or liquid wrench in the key hole and in and around the door handle, use a wedge at the glass and door weather strip (as if you were going to slim-jim it) and hose in there as well clean up any that hits the paint, let it sit over night then try it in the morning.

The central locking mech is built to lock the door pin down so even if a theif break the glass they still can't open your door. (you can actually lock someone in and they can't get out) There are a few ways to open it if it is totally fused, but try above first.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:16 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi starmavin,,
Thanks for the tips on the door problem.
Will try that out and post back if i get it working again.

Power brake booster is bad ?????
What/where is the brake power booster ??
what does it do ????
Is the car dangerous to drive if it is a faulty brake power booster, this is probably the most important thing really. Is it expensive to fix ?????
Thanks for your help,,, Cheers,, kev.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 11:47 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
The power brake booster is the large round\oval shaped part that your brake master cyl is bolted to under the hood. It provides you with extra braking power when you push on the brakes.

However I noticed that you stated that the sound is comming from the passenger side when you hit the brake. Is this right?
#7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi,
Yes,,,, the noise is coming from the passenger footwell, underneath the glove box. Never noticed it before,, but it has been a long time since i had the car in regular use. Could have been there all along for all i know ??
Btw,,,we are talking about a UK,,right hand drive model.

Been having a read thru a haynes manual , and it recommends a few tests for brake vacuum servo failure. (THIS IS THE BOOSTER ISNT IT ??)

1/ press the pedal with the engine running,, then turn off the engine with your foot still on the pedal. If there is no change in pedal travel after 30 secs,,, then the servo is airtight and working fine.

2/ depress the pedal and hold it there,,, then turn on the engine,,, if the pedal goes down slightly,, then its working fine.

I have tried these little tests for working order, and airtightness,,, and the car has passed them all. According to the haynes manual, there is nothing wrong with the brake vacuum servo, as its doing as it is supposed to ???
If this is so,,,,, what on earth could be causing this "air escaping" type of sound ?????
#8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 03:11 PM
5th Gear Member

That would be right, the brake booster is still on the left side of the car even though its a RHD car. Well, with out knowing how loud it is makes it tough, there is another possibility, a foam sponge that dampens the "woosh" shound tends to turn to dust after a while. That could be it. It's where the power brake booster input rod is.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 07:36 AM
n00b

john_k_o is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Ive got a 89' 320i, right hand drive (Australia) and have exactly the same thing happening. You dont really notice it while driving but can hear it when the car is off from the passenger side, a air wooshing sound during brake compression. You can actually see the brake device from the passenger foot well. I dont think this is a problem, but the normal operation of the device.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 05:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hey john,,,,Thanks for that mate.
So you havent had any problems since you heard the whooshing noise ???
Cant say i have any problems braking,, but i havent taken her out since i heard the noise,, shit scared in case the brakes suddenly fail or something !!!
Hope your right,,, thank fuck for that,,, wife would kill me if i spend another
penny on a car.
Ones got to go though,, gonna keep the RX7, and the beemer,,, the impreza can go,,,,,keep the missus happy.
Cheers mate. kev.
#11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:09 PM
5th Gear Member

Like I said, there is a pice of foam that should lower the "woosh" shound, shouldn't cost a penny to stuff another hunk of foam in there.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:24 PM
n00b

john_k_o is on a distinguished road
well ive had the car for about 2 years now, never had a problem, its been doing it ever since i had it, suppose the quick fix from starmavin could solve the probem but i wouln't worry about it.
#13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys,,,gonna have a proper look tomorrow.
Get some foam and fil it up if poss,other than that ,, might just leave it if its not doing any harm.
Think am just being over cautious,,, after having an RX7 for the last 3 yrs, you tend to break into a cold sweat if you hear anything unfamiliar when you turn her over ????
Cheers guys,,, kev.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
PS,,,Spent all day yesterday playing around with the central locking etc,,,,
No joy whatsover,,, completly buggered on the passenger
side door.
Then,,,,,, went to the car this morning to find the servo,,, geuss what !!!
the bloody central locking is working again ?????
Dont ask,,,,,dont know what i did,, but its all locking and unlocking as it should.??? must have just been stuck.
Cheers for all your help anyway.,,,,,,kev.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)