BMW Werkz banner

Starting Problems

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  All wheels rolling 
#1 ·
So my car was put in the shop for not starting and now its not starting again. I put a new battery in there, just got out of the shop for a battery distribution part and it has new spark plugs. when its cold it really doesnt start at all, rearly. So what do you think it could be?
when you turn the key over, it just keeps trying to turn over. with rev limits starting and staying at 0 and moving up and down between 0rpm and 500 rpm. If I get luckey enough it hits over 1000 rpm and starts. Tonight I kept trying to start it and then I saw smoke from the exhaust, under the car, and under the hood.

#2 ·
Originally posted by BMWDriver86@Jan 21 2005, 09:12 PM
So my car was put in the shop for not starting and now its not starting again.  I put a new battery in there, just got out of the shop for a battery distribution part and it has new spark plugs.  when its cold it really doesnt start at all, rearly.  So what do you think it could be?
when you turn the key over, it just keeps trying to turn over. with rev limits starting and staying at 0 and moving up and down between 0rpm and 500 rpm. If I get luckey enough it hits over 1000 rpm and starts.  Tonight I kept trying to start it and then I saw smoke from the exhaust, under the car, and under the hood.
[snapback]276463[/snapback]​
maybe your fuel lines are frozen, how cold is it where you are? a few people had the problems, i forget what it is you pour in your gas tank and it gets rid of water, you can prolly go buy somthing like it, water out of gastank or some cheesy name like that, and pour that in, and then if you can put your car in a heated garadge and after an hour or so see if it starts. it also could be your battery, or a bad connection to your starter, or your starter is wearing out. and if the smoke is white, its just condensation off your pipes, if its blue your engines burning oil. and the distributer cap coulda been put on wrong.. so that might also be a problem there, and the timing could have been poorly adjusted too.

#3 ·
it doesnt usually get below 10 here at night and usually during the day in the winter its between 20 and 30. The battery is brand new and so r the spark plugs. I dont know is it hard to start any old car in the cold weather? Im gonna try to have my mechanic look at it again and say he didnt fix it cuz it is not starting so he should have to fix it for free if thats what I put it in for. what do you guys think? Let me know.

#6 ·
Originally posted by BMWDriver86@Jan 26 2005, 06:42 PM
thats what my mechanic said. he made an educated guess but said he has to charge me before he does futher diagnostics it. How could the fuel pressure regulator cause that tho? let me know
[snapback]279979[/snapback]​
the fuel presure regulator regulates the fuel presure hence the name. however on the fuel rail it is after the injectors so it wouldn't stop fuel from comming to the engine, unless the settup is different for that year. but it could cause the presure to drop significant'y or be to high and your engine is flooding. one of the too. not saying htis is the problem but thats what the regulator does. it changes the presure based on the amount of air going into the engine. to keep the air/fuel ratio perfect, or close too.

#8 ·
Originally posted by BMWDriver86@Jan 28 2005, 08:38 PM
I dont know, the mechanic said something like something was stuck or something to that nature. But right now, it will not start and Im not gonna pay to diagnose it cuz its too expensive. It like intermitently starts and and stuff, I dont know what else to do.
[snapback]281393[/snapback]​
did he say your mass airflow metere was stuck? or your idle controll valve? or your fuel presure regulator, or your bleed off vlave? what did he say was stuck, cause whatever is stuck take it out clean it WD40 it up and then see if it works.

#10 ·
Originally posted by BMWDriver86@Jan 29 2005, 01:34 PM
I belive he said the fuel pressure regulator was probably stuck. Where is that located on the bmw for 1986 so I can check it and everything? Let me know guys.
[snapback]281833[/snapback]​
end of the fuel rail there is a vacume hose going to it from the throttle body

#13 ·
Originally posted by BMW@JMU@Jan 29 2005, 03:03 PM
i'm thinking its probably the regulator seeing how smoke (probably white) came out of your exhaust. its definitely flooded.
[snapback]281944[/snapback]​
white smoke is water. the plugs will say whether or not your engine is running rich or lean or just right.

#14 ·
Originally posted by BMWDriver86@Jan 22 2005, 05:12 AM
So my car was put in the shop for not starting and now its not starting again. I put a new battery in there, just got out of the shop for a battery distribution part and it has new spark plugs. when its cold it really doesnt start at all, rearly. So what do you think it could be?
when you turn the key over, it just keeps trying to turn over. with rev limits starting and staying at 0 and moving up and down between 0rpm and 500 rpm. If I get luckey enough it hits over 1000 rpm and starts. Tonight I kept trying to start it and then I saw smoke from the exhaust, under the car, and under the hood.
I have the same problem and my local garage has been trying to help. They've put the computer on it and it reads "Fuel Evaporation Valve". They don't actually know what that is, maybe you could help me on that.

#15 ·
Originally posted by mtb32+Feb 8 2005, 02:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtb32 @ Feb 8 2005, 02:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BMWDriver86@Jan 22 2005, 05:12 AM
So my car was put in the shop for not starting and now its not starting again.  I put a new battery in there, just got out of the shop for a battery distribution part and it has new spark plugs.  when its cold it really doesnt start at all, rearly.  So what do you think it could be?
when you turn the key over, it just keeps trying to turn over. with rev limits starting and staying at 0 and moving up and down between 0rpm and 500 rpm. If I get luckey enough it hits over 1000 rpm and starts.  Tonight I kept trying to start it and then I saw smoke from the exhaust, under the car, and under the hood.
I have the same problem and my local garage has been trying to help. They've put the computer on it and it reads "Fuel Evaporation Valve". They don't actually know what that is, maybe you could help me on that.
[snapback]287801[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

just answered your question in your new thread. and yes it could cause those problems.

#16 ·
I had the almost same problem with my 325 as well... my solution was to change the oil. It got pretty cold here so in the mornings it was like trying to turn over molasses that had been in the fridge for a few days! I thought about all those things you guys talked about above. I changed the oli to something thinner and synthetic and it starts fine now... recently, I've learned that a good portion of the problems I have had have been an ewasy fix!

Preston

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.