SSK mystery - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 08:34 PM
77th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
SSK mystery

Hi everyone!
I have been drooling over doing a z4 short shift kit for quite some time, and one thing has been bugging me.

Reading one of the other forums, which I have long since forgotten, it is mentioned that e30's produced before a certain point in 1986 need a plate underneath the center console replaced in order to be able to complete the installation of the ssk.
If so, what is the plate, where can I get it, how much does it cost, and how much of a PITA is it to replace?

Thanks a heap!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 09:25 PM
5th Gear Member

Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Red_Rocket
I have no clue, id ask on e30tech.com, they would prob know what you are talking about....since they all own e30's

#3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
It's the ball mounting plate, around the 86ish years this plate sat closer to the drive shaft than others and I also belive the ball is smaller than others too. A short shifter installed on one of these plates would hit off the driveshaft. For others who don't know, short shifters work by moving the leverage point closer to the shift knob and further down at the linkage, decreasing the leverage and shorting the shift motion, consequently raising the shifting effort.

I think the one you'll need is found in the 90's M3. To change it, it'll be easier once you remove the drive shaft flex joint and/or remove the trans crossmember lowering it a bit. Buy new rubber mounts they all most always rotted or half dissolved by oil leaks.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
why not just buy a ssk made for your car? or do they not have those?
#5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:37 AM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
because the ssk's made for e30's cost HUNDREDS! I can get the parts for a z3 or z4 which mostly just drop right in, for about $60! eeny meeny... CHEAP WINS!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
#6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...103&Section=11

theres an e36 m3 ssk install... dono if that would be to your interest at all...
#7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 02:21 AM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
bah, short shifters... lots of bad experiences wiht them. You realize that they feel numb right? Everyone I know who had one has misshifted, some blew engines, some didn't blow engines. Up to you.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:22 PM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
never had a problem with them myself! I put them in my '69, '72, '74 VW Beetles, my '72 Kharmann Ghia, all 5 of my first gen RX7's, my '88 CRX, and my '90 Accord without any problems. I am not looking to powershift my clutch or engine into oblivion, I just want to tighten up the linkage and shorten the throw. As it stands now, when throwing into 5th gear, I actually have to lean forward and push. That is a LOOOONG throw, considering I am 6ft 3 with monkey arms!

I don't muscle my cars, I'm just looking to tighten up the feeling overall.

Josh W.

Quote:

#9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:39 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I have to interject, Josh, given how old you are, you have gone through A LOT of cars. How?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:54 PM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
First, I am 29, not 19! Second, that's not even the complete list! I should have mentioned the '72 Fiat Spyder, the shitty '86 Thunderbird, the '82 Toyota Corolla, the shitty '88 Chevy Beretta, and I THINK that's all (or at least MOST) of them!
Third, most of those cars are/were CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!! The Bugs were the most expensive by far. The RX7's were under $900 each and I would buy a new one every couple months while I was in the Army, fix it up, use all the best parts from each of them to create the best of each model, drive the ever lovin' SHIT out of them, and sell 'em. My buddy and I would spend whole weekends in the garage, just tools, cars and beer! And fourth, I used to have a REALLY good paying job prior to September 11th, so I had spare cash!!
Then there is the fact that I have moved a LOT over the years, and each time, I sell my car, move where ever the wind blows, buy a new car, and start over.
The basic story is that I GET BORED of most of the cars and get rid of them. The cars that have held my attention are the ones I have had multiples of, like the VW's and RX7's. I have to say that BMW's are definitely on that list as these are the best engineered cars I have EVER owned!!! Now I just need the cash to buy more!

Hope that answers a few questions for you!

Josh W.

Quote:

#11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Dude, we gotta meet sometime.

anyways. I put in the Z4 "ssk" and it works pretty well. I get a little grinding on the balancer covering the guibo (I think), but it's not enough to worry about right now. I didn't get to do all the bushings, as I didn't feel like tearing it all apart, but I'm reasonably happy. I'm in a rush right now, but I'll post later about what kind of fabrication I had to do.
I guess I would recommend it.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear Member

egk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
This should help you out:
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...t=41971&page=2

I have the z4 2.5 ssk, install was straight forward and no modifications were needed, sits low in the console and shifts were dramatically reduced.
Stock:

Z4 2.5:

2.8L M20 Stroker

Last edited by egk2; 05-20-2006 at 11:53 PM.
#13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 12:13 AM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm betting that is the thread I have long since forgotten! I love the r3v!

THX!

Josh W.

Quote:

#14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, it helps if you get the uber cool new knob to go with the kit. I didn't yet. FTL.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear Member

JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
325eXTATIC, you're my hero, I thought I was cool cuz I had 2 bimmers...

86 Alpine White 335is M30 Swap <br>My Car Domain
ASE L1 Smog Certified

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)