BMW Werkz banner

sport shocks vs. touring?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mystikal 
#1 ·
I'm replacing the shocks in my '87 325 one way or the other - it's got 200k miles and as far as i know, it's all stock.

I am torn between getting the bilstein touring shocks and keeping my original springs, or shelling out the big bucks for the bilstein sport shocks and the Bav. Auto sport springs. I want a sportier ride, but i don't want it to feel like crap after pumping so much dough into it.

I've read a lot of the older posts on the touring shocks, and people like them - can anyone give me some sense of the feel of the ride/stiffness/handling? comparison?

Do you think i should change out the springs even if i just get the touring shocks?

Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
there's no need to change the springs with touring shocks. you can have the firmer damping with stock springs with Bilstein HD's (same damping as the Sports), but if you want to lower your car in the process, then you would need the sports. ive heard bad things about BavAuto springs and how they sag over time, so H&R Sports would probably be your best choice.

#3 ·
I have a E36 BMW and I replaced with touring shocks and then later on down the road (not in the orig plan for the car) I installed bavauto.com sport springs. I am sastified with the ride and performance (handling) of my car. I wasn't going to lower the car because every few weeks I have to drive 300 miles on bad roads and even with speeding it takes 4 1/2 hours, so the ride quality was really important to me. But then my mechanic/friend talked me into getting the bavauto.com springs about a week ago. I'm glad he did. The ride really isn't much if at all worse except over really bad bumps. I've also bottomed out my suspension because I didn't put the bump stops back in when I changed struts.

#4 ·
How was your ride with the touring shocks only? Did the touring shocks alone make a big difference?

How about with the lowering springs?
Did you feel much of a handling difference with the new springs?

Why did you decide to lower? were the shocks alone not stiff enough?

#5 ·
Define feel like crap. I won't lie to you, putting on a set of Bilstein Sports with good lowering springs (as in NOT the Bavauto ones) will be stiffer. But I guarantee you will see it in a good way, unless you're an old geezer who should be in a Buick in the first place. :nana The level of control and responsiveness will be astounding, and you'll soon realize that you never were really feeling what's going on beneath you. I now feel very scared to drive stock suspended cars (even the E46 w/sport package in the garage) at high speeds , it just doesn't feel nearly as stable.

I'd go with the Bilstein Tourings if money is tight. If not, get the Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport combo and live happily ever after.

#6 ·
Mystikal, I'm going to assume that the picture of your red bimmer has the Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport combo. I like the way your bimmer sits and would like to know if you experienced any tire rubbing on your fenders. What size wheels (dia, width and offset or backspace) and tires do you have? Also, did you have to get camber kits for proper alignment. Thank you

#7 ·
I added the Bilstein Touring to my 1988 750il (front only) and I really like them, they are near OEM feel (BOGE), maybe a bit firmer, but they track great. One caveat on my car, the strut rods are either longer or not thread as far down the rod as the BOGE and I had to add a washer under the top brass washer just below the lock nut to keep them from clunking, that is the only issue I had and it worked out just fine. Bought from PROAMauto in TX for about $65.00 each (they have a website).

#8 ·
Originally posted by ye12@Jul 8 2004, 03:32 PM
Mystikal, I'm going to assume that the picture of your red bimmer has the Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport combo. I like the way your bimmer sits and would like to know if you experienced any tire rubbing on your fenders. What size wheels (dia, width and offset or backspace) and tires do you have? Also, did you have to get camber kits for proper alignment. Thank you
Nah, I have Ground Control coilovers with Koni single adjustables. Flexibility kicks ass. :rock

The wheels are 16x7", ET25, with 205/50/16 tires. No camber kit, I love the negative. There is no rubbing whatsoever. With this offset I could even run 225/45/16 without issues. :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.