BMW Werkz banner

speedometer

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nukeduster 
#1 ·
my speedometer wont work 80% of the time and the times that it does work it just jumps to the speed and goes back down repeaditly. how would i fix this

#3 ·
you might need a new instrument cluster

#4 ·
eh? i had exactly the same problem, figured it was a bad wire because when i pushed on the connector on the back, or jiggled the wires, or hit the panel it fixed it. Then i read the link i showed, which involves re-soldering all the contacts and it was plainly visible they weren't right - dry-jointed. Since i've done that, it's been rock steady. I just wish i did the tach connection when i was in there so my temp gauge might not jump around so much...

#5 ·
How likely is it that the speed sensor can go bad? The reason I ask is that it is a passive device and has no moving parts. I have pulled the boot off that covers the wires to the speed sensor and sprayed with contact cleaner. The conatcts looked clean to begin with. But still no speedometer. I have a perfectly working RPM gauge, but no speedo. With a working RPM Gauge can a fuse still be a culprit?

#6 ·
rpm is on a seperate cable, so no. i have the same problem now too. my speedometer isn't working all of a sudden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.