BMW Werkz banner

spark plugs...?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  guywithblack88e30 
#1 ·
i have an 87 325 with 211,600 miles. the car runs great and doesn't smoke. i just adjusted my valves yersterday and decided to change the plugs too. when i pulled them out they looked terrible. for ex. brown dust and black gunk that looked like hardened tar. they really looked awful. i use bosch platinum spark plugs. does anyone know why they look so bad. anyonw have a similar problem. thanks.

#2 ·
Platinums are NOT what our cars need!!! I believe they are too hot of a plug and if the combustion doesn't get hot enough, the plug will foul. Just get the stock plugs. There is another thread on the first couple pages which talks about this. the stock plugs are the only way to go unless you have some sort of significant mods to the engine (turbo, hotter cam, etc...)
Several of the guys on the forums have sig's that say things like "NO PLATINUMS... BMW's ARE NOT FORDS!!!" and such... this will "spark" a healthy thread though, I guarantee!

Josh W.

#3 ·
dude go wit some splitfires i put some in yesterday and huge difference in the drive and that was without the new wires next week new wires :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.