BMW Werkz banner

Some questions about my new 318iS

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Fox 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1991 318iS with 153000 miles. Overall im thrilled but i had a couple of questions.

The engine fan has a couple of blades broken off and so it runs a little loud.
Where is the best place to get a new fan? And can i just get the blades without the clutch etc?

My engine temperature gauge only makes it up to the first notch (about 1/2 way to normal temperature) no matter how long i drive. Is this a faulty gauge or a faulty thermostat?

Also my check engine light come on intermittently (on for five minutes off for five etc). My first thought was oxegyn sensor, but just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

----

Edit: What is the best repair manual for this car? Chilton's etc...

#2 ·
Welcome to bmw-forums :driving

Bently is the best manual for e30's, but it doesnt include the M42 engine which is what you have. so unless you get both a e30 and a e36 bently manual, then you may be better off with some other publisher.

does the temp gauge reach normal temp while idling at a stand still for a few minutes, or does it actually never go past the 1/4 mark? alot of e30's run with the needle barely out of the blue, but will move to normal temp while idling.

the o2 sensor is a good candidate for causing the check engine light to come on, but it could also be a fault with the airflow sensor, coolant temp sensor :idea2 , or something else.

#3 ·
hello... that temp thing seems normal.. its the same on mine... start the engine... it warms up, needle just goes past the blue and stays there while driving... but if stuck in traffic.. or slow moving... needle goes towards the middle and stops.. so the temp is being controlled... and anyway ive noticed..and ive heard(in several forums) aswell that the M42 engine runs better cooler anyway...
do your heaters work ?

by the way... a great car or what...???
the best car ive ever driven... :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. And yes it is an awesome car hope to get some pics soon.

One other question... Ive noticed if i let it idle for a long time it will start to run rough and even stall. And once during normal driving it even started to chug and felt like it would have stalled if i hadnt revved it. Could this be a further symptom of a fialing O2 sensor (see above engine check light post) or something more expensive such as my ICV?

thanks for the temp info. didnt realize that was normal.

#5 ·
Get a fan off something at the junkyard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.