BMW Werkz banner

It smells like gas. Leaky gas filler cap.

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bymerdynamics 
#1 ·
I run into this problem on my 325 i . The Gas cap is always wet when the tank is full or more then half full. It smells like gas and it is visible in the filler neck also. There is a small amount of gas present almost all the time.
I have changed the gas cap with the genuine part. It didnt help.
Can this be emmision system related or a fuell pump?

#2 ·
Unless you can see it leaking past the cap and back down the outside of the filler neck I suspect your fuel smell is coming from somewhere else. Most likely it is the O-ring on fuel pump, O-ring for the level sender that is part of the fuel pump and if you have a late E30 the O-ring on the level sender on the drivers side of the tank. These all can be replaced with simple hand tools and are cheep parts. The main thing is to get the area around the pump and sending units clean before you take them apart so you don't get any dirt in the fuel tank. Also get some silicone paste and put a light coat on the o-rings so they don't bind up when you twist lock the pump and drivers side units back in place. Do not use any sort of petroleum grease on the rubber o-rings because it will cause them to swell up and get weak.

#3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply.
It seems like fuell fumes more present in the car, which make sence according to your post. I am going to check on it.
Recently, i have replaced an O ring on a vw Golf and was shocked by its appearance. It was really stretched and soft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.