It smells like gas. Leaky gas filler cap. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bymerdynamics is on a distinguished road
It smells like gas. Leaky gas filler cap.

I run into this problem on my 325 i . The Gas cap is always wet when the tank is full or more then half full. It smells like gas and it is visible in the filler neck also. There is a small amount of gas present almost all the time.
I have changed the gas cap with the genuine part. It didnt help.
Can this be emmision system related or a fuell pump?
bymerdynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Unless you can see it leaking past the cap and back down the outside of the filler neck I suspect your fuel smell is coming from somewhere else. Most likely it is the O-ring on fuel pump, O-ring for the level sender that is part of the fuel pump and if you have a late E30 the O-ring on the level sender on the drivers side of the tank. These all can be replaced with simple hand tools and are cheep parts. The main thing is to get the area around the pump and sending units clean before you take them apart so you don't get any dirt in the fuel tank. Also get some silicone paste and put a light coat on the o-rings so they don't bind up when you twist lock the pump and drivers side units back in place. Do not use any sort of petroleum grease on the rubber o-rings because it will cause them to swell up and get weak.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bymerdynamics is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much for your reply.
It seems like fuell fumes more present in the car, which make sence according to your post. I am going to check on it.
Recently, i have replaced an O ring on a vw Golf and was shocked by its appearance. It was really stretched and soft.
bymerdynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)