Si Batteries. Prob. Fixed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:06 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aznhiga is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey all u E30 people who have a dead cluster. I just completed a task that i heard of that fixes the non working gauges. I found out that it is all related to dead batteries or leakage of them, or its just ur fuses or wires or whatever. But if u have tried everything, try replacing the batteries.

Before beginning. u have to decide whether or not u want to have an external battery casing or just try to replace the batteries in the stock place. But trying to install them back where they came from, is a harder task then u think, only people who are experts at soldeing can do that, or if u want to try, i admit im not that good yet. But before u start u need some soldering skills to get the batteries off the board. First u need to go to radioshack, and buy a 2pack of nickel cadmium AA's. thats bout 8 bucks. Then if u want an external battery casing, get some 20 gauge or 18 gauge wire, zip ties, and a AA battery casing for only 2 AA's. All about 20 bucks. Make sure that the casing has attachments for all four polarity's so u can put the wires on later, trust me this is a big thing.

Then when ur ready, read on other posts on how to get the steering wheel off if needed, get the cluster out and then take it apart down to the SI board itself. then here is where it gets to soldering. Find the batteries on the board, if they are leaking, then u have to replace, if not, u just wasted time, or it just might be the SI board thats a problem, meaning u have to go buy a whole another si
board for 100 bucks. But next u solder off both batteries and take off the attachments on each, you'll see them attached to each side of the batteries. And these things are a pain in the arse to take off, good luck. after that remember the polarity on the batteries cause youll need it to solder the right wires on. Next cut 4 pieces of the wire about 3 feet long, and began soldering them to the attachments, just like if u were going to solder the batteries back on. next solder the attachments to the Si board in there original places. Then take the other sides of the wires and attach them to the correct polarity on the casing and solder them. Next zip tie the wires so u dont have wires dangling everywhere.when done with everyhting, make sure the soldered places are good and reassemble everything, because the only way to test if u did this right is to assemble it and put it back in ur car and turn it on. If it works congrats cause u just fixed ur gauges, and when finished find a desired place to put the casing and try to keep it there somehow. And ur done. For the disassembling of the steering wheel or dash, could somebody repost those or just find them on other posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)