BMW Werkz banner

shift knob

4K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Fox 
#1 ·
Hey all, the shifter on my 85 318i is really loose ... wut i mean is that for example while i am in 5th gear i can move the stick so that it looks like it is in 3rd without actually switching gears... is this normal for this car??? if not how do i go about fixing it??? thanx for any help!

Rob :driving

#3 ·
sorry bout that

#5 ·
O ok .... thanx for the help!

#6 ·
no no no, dont get all worried there is only 1 main bushing you have to drop the drive shaft for and thats the shift arm bushing, otherwise you can change everything else with it still on. It sounds to me like the actual plastic on the shift arm itself has worn down, or maybe the shift cup. Both of those are moderatly easy to replace and are relatively cheap.

#7 ·
AH! some one make up my mind lol!! :D .... thanx for that info .... im prolly goin to get a short shifter neway .... so i guess i will take care of that while i install the new one ..... if i have ne questions along the way ill ask .... o btw ... where is a good place to find a short shifter ??? and how easy are they to install?? thanks again

#8 ·
Dealership. Using OEM parts costs about $70 and is the same if not better than all those other name brand stuff. I have the list of part numbers and prices and ill put them up if you want. Its relatively easy to change it just takes lots of light and smaller hands and patience.

#10 ·
yea ... those prices would be awesome .... thanx

#11 ·
hey ... i just got a new boot ...but it didnt come with that plastic base thing.... was wondering the best way to get it off the original.... anyone have any ideas??? thanx

#12 ·
exacto blade, the origional ones are basically heat shrinked on

#13 ·
Hey merob, dont bother with the z3 shifter, its not big enough of a difference to warrent the price. Go for the z4 shifter, if you want to do it i have a full price and part numbers and a full picture history of mine. btw this is the difference

Attachments

#14 ·
2 from the side.

Attachments

#15 ·
and 3, post removal pre install

Attachments

#17 ·
HOLY CRAP! if i had known the z3 3.0 was that good i would have bougt it. Holy shit that would reduce throw by like... 60%!!! Id pay to have my transmission dropped to put that badboy in.

#19 ·
ok.

#20 ·
how difficult is it to install a new shifter ???? does it require alot of part removal ???? just wondering for if i get it.. thanks

#21 ·
no, its very simple just very aggrivating. For the first time it takes around 30 minutes just cause its a little confusing on how the shift cup rotates out, But after you do it right the first time it takes about 10 minutes the 2nd time. I can give you a fill instruction on how if your gonna do it.

#23 ·
OK i just put an order in for a new short shifter .... now those instructions would be wonderful!!!! thankx

#24 ·
Originally posted by merob247@Aug 24 2003, 12:19 PM
OK i just put an order in for a new short shifter .... now those instructions would be wonderful!!!! thankx

which one did you buy? i just now realized that you have 85 which is gonna make things pretty difficult cause ive read that your e30 (and e30's up to 86) have sheet metal shift carriers instead of alluminum like the newer e30's. i have no experience with those sheet metal carriers so i wont say it's impossible, but it should complicate things.

#25 ·
it should all be good. Worst case senario is you use the existing shift cup.

Ill put those instructions up soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.