She stutters, how do I stop it?? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:04 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Danbot is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
She stutters, how do I stop it??

89 325i - In 4th and 5th gear, from about 3000 rpm upwards she starts stuttering as if she isnt getting enough air or fuel - what might it be??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
whe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbot
89 325i - In 4th and 5th gear, from about 3000 rpm upwards she starts stuttering as if she isnt getting enough air or fuel - what might it be??
whens the last time you changed the air filter?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Could be spark breaking down under load, check your ignition system.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Hey man,
I'm with the ASE guy (ditto on the ASE), I think your problem sounds like a classic case of secondary ignition neglect. When was the last time she had a full tune up? Take your cap off and look it over... if it has much in the way of corrosion replace it. Don't sand the contacts off, it will just make the problem come back quicker and it also increases the resistance in the ignition system. Also look for cracks or carbon tracking. This will look like little black trails on the plastic. If you find either just replace it wilth a quality new cap. Also check the rotor for wear and the same types of things. Always replace these two in pairs! As for the wires (including the coil wire), you should first do a visual inspection. Look at them and see if they've been rubbed through any where or if they are corroded inside the ends. If not than the next step is to Ohm them out. You will need a good DVOM for this. Just put the leads on opposing ends and set the DVOM to K Ohms. This means Ohmsx1000. The wires ends should list the Ohm reading they should have on them if they are BMW originals or Bosh. If not, the general rule is 7k ohms per foot or less. While testing the resistance of the wires, move them around and stuff to see if they have a short when moved. If one of them tests high, go ahead and replace the set as they are likely to be worse off when they are good and hot. If they're good then go ahead and put a little dielectric grease in the ends and put them back on. Oh, and by the way, only take off one at a time, that way you don't get them crossed! Very easy to do. I guess I kinda left off the most obvious part... the plugs! For the price of six cheap Bosh supers, you may as well just go ahead and buy a set before you start and replace them regardless of what they look like. Never hurts. But look them over real well when you take them out, as this can be a good indicator of what's going on inside your engine. They should all look fairly close to the same and should have a proper gap. The electrodes should have a square shoulder, if theyre rounded off, they sould be replaced. They should also be a little caramel colored or a tiny bit black. If they are white or ashy then you have other problems plaguing you. Anyhow try those things and I bet you come out on top! If not, you may have some fuel delivery problems! Let me know how it goes!
#5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTE30
Hey man,
I'm with the ASE guy (ditto on the ASE), I think your problem sounds like a classic case of secondary ignition neglect. When was the last time she had a full tune up? Take your cap off and look it over... if it has much in the way of corrosion replace it. Don't sand the contacts off, it will just make the problem come back quicker and it also increases the resistance in the ignition system. Also look for cracks or carbon tracking. This will look like little black trails on the plastic. If you find either just replace it wilth a quality new cap. Also check the rotor for wear and the same types of things. Always replace these two in pairs! As for the wires (including the coil wire), you should first do a visual inspection. Look at them and see if they've been rubbed through any where or if they are corroded inside the ends. If not than the next step is to Ohm them out. You will need a good DVOM for this. Just put the leads on opposing ends and set the DVOM to K Ohms. This means Ohmsx1000. The wires ends should list the Ohm reading they should have on them if they are BMW originals or Bosh. If not, the general rule is 7k ohms per foot or less. While testing the resistance of the wires, move them around and stuff to see if they have a short when moved. If one of them tests high, go ahead and replace the set as they are likely to be worse off when they are good and hot. If they're good then go ahead and put a little dielectric grease in the ends and put them back on. Oh, and by the way, only take off one at a time, that way you don't get them crossed! Very easy to do. I guess I kinda left off the most obvious part... the plugs! For the price of six cheap Bosh supers, you may as well just go ahead and buy a set before you start and replace them regardless of what they look like. Never hurts. But look them over real well when you take them out, as this can be a good indicator of what's going on inside your engine. They should all look fairly close to the same and should have a proper gap. The electrodes should have a square shoulder, if theyre rounded off, they sould be replaced. They should also be a little caramel colored or a tiny bit black. If they are white or ashy then you have other problems plaguing you. Anyhow try those things and I bet you come out on top! If not, you may have some fuel delivery problems! Let me know how it goes!
looks like this guy knows his stuff... to the werkz!
#6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:56 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Everthing is correct except that BMW e30 plug wires have a solid wire core, so the ohms will be the same if they are 1 foot long or 3, unlike a carbon conductor wires that break down after a while and have higher ohms after time. That's why they last for well over 100,000 miles. Just do a continuity to see if they are good.

Last edited by Starmavin; 04-30-2006 at 12:04 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
#8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Sodium Chloride

hey how far is clarkson from louisville? ever come up here?
#9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear Member

Trekkin to the 'Ville!!!!

I'm actually from E-Town but have recently moved down the WK pkwy. about 25mi. because I run a Fastenal Industrial and Construction Supply store here in Leitchfield. Clarkson is a tiny little dot on the map without so much as a stoplight or sign for that matter! Anyhow I'm about 1h15m from the 'Ville. I do get up there pretty often to get parts and to just hang out on Baxter or Bearno's on 2'nd and Market. Love that BBC ! Where abouts are you in L'Ville?
#10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
because I run a Fastenal Industrial and Construction Supply store here in Leitchfield.

I know quite a few people involved in Fastenal. Glad to see you on the board.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'm actually from E-Town but have recently moved down the WK pkwy. about 25mi. because I run a Fastenal Industrial and Construction Supply store here in Leitchfield. Clarkson is a tiny little dot on the map without so much as a stoplight or sign for that matter! Anyhow I'm about 1h15m from the 'Ville. I do get up there pretty often to get parts and to just hang out on Baxter or Bearno's on 2'nd and Market. Love that BBC ! Where abouts are you in L'Ville?
One of these days I will have a mini-meet with 'shaker. You should come.

#12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear Member

No doubt!!! Good as There!
#13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Sodium Chloride

haha mini meet... but yeah my dads friend owns bearnos im pretty sure.. or at least a couple of the branchs... maybe a mini meet with free food? haha
#14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear Member

Do you think he'd marry me?
#15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear Member

Hey, let's just drive around and make a lot of noise, like the Uncle Ben's crowd... then we could be REALLY cool. Oh, wait.... No bazooka tube.... DAMN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)