Second bimmer, First e21 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
n00b
 
toymachine595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
toymachine595 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Second bimmer, First e21

Hey guys im new to the e21 scene but not bmw. Ive had my e36 325is for sometime now but they are two very different cars. First off: it is a 1982 320iS Henna Red ( the original paint is more like sad excuse for faded orange right now) and I got it from California so when I say there is not a spot of rust on the vehicle I mean the orginal brake and fuel lines look like new. I live in New York so I didnt even know cars came rust free.

Few Questions

-I took the recaros out of the car cause i either need new ones or i need to get them redone. I unplugged a wire from the seat and was wondering what it is, cause they are obviously not heated nor are they power seats, maybe a seatbelt warning light? Also if anyone knows where i can get a better set of the same e21 recaros somewhere or maybe just the sliding frame parts please let me know.



-the shifter was sloppy as hell, i checked it out and the parts i need are called supporting brackets. they connect the shifter arm (looks more like a flat plate to me) to the tranny and have bushings in them. there are two of them. now i went to take the bolts out of the brackets one came out and the other is stuck in the tranny. hopefully a little heat will take it out but im just throwin this out there in case any of you guys have had the same problem.



-the rear subframe bushing/mount is making a horrible clunk/squeak. im wondering what the best solution to replacing them is. should i replace both or just the one thats bad, is it hard to do, and where should i get parts.



-the starter makes a thrashing sound whenever i start it up. possibly needs to be shimmed or un shimmed maybe, but how hard is it to replace/get to the starter. it looks to be in a pretty difficult spot.



-the brake pad wear sensor light is on also and the pads are fine is there anything i should double check to get this light off. if not its no big deal really.



sorry for this long list of complaints but if anyone has any suggestions for any of the above the feedback would be much appreciated.

peace
toymachine595 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine595
Hey guys im new to the e21 scene but not bmw. Ive had my e36 325is for sometime now but they are two very different cars. First off: it is a 1982 320iS Henna Red ( the original paint is more like sad excuse for faded orange right now) and I got it from California so when I say there is not a spot of rust on the vehicle I mean the orginal brake and fuel lines look like new. I live in New York so I didnt even know cars came rust free.
If you live in NY that'll change, even if its never driven in the winter. I used to live in PA, no mater what, keeping rust and rot at bay is nothing less than impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine595
Few Questions

-I took the recaros out of the car cause i either need new ones or i need to get them redone. I unplugged a wire from the seat and was wondering what it is, cause they are obviously not heated nor are they power seats, maybe a seatbelt warning light? Also if anyone knows where i can get a better set of the same e21 recaros somewhere or maybe just the sliding frame parts please let me know.
That is the seat belt switch.



Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine595
-the shifter was sloppy as hell, i checked it out and the parts i need are called supporting brackets. they connect the shifter arm (looks more like a flat plate to me) to the tranny and have bushings in them. there are two of them. now i went to take the bolts out of the brackets one came out and the other is stuck in the tranny. hopefully a little heat will take it out but im just throwin this out there in case any of you guys have had the same problem.
There are bushings in the transmission that cause 60% of that, the other 40% is in the shift plate and rod bushings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine595
-the rear subframe bushing/mount is making a horrible clunk/squeak. im wondering what the best solution to replacing them is. should i replace both or just the one thats bad, is it hard to do, and where should i get parts.
That will need to be dropped and either pressed out or knocked out with an air hammer. Try Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips or Bavarian Autosport | BMW Parts and BMW Accessories, you can also check RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog



Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine595
-the starter makes a thrashing sound whenever i start it up. possibly needs to be shimmed or un shimmed maybe, but how hard is it to replace/get to the starter. it looks to be in a pretty difficult spot.
Replace it, no shimming there. It's a bit of a pain to change. Just make sure you disconnect the battery first...


Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine595
-the brake pad wear sensor light is on also and the pads are fine is there anything i should double check to get this light off. if not its no big deal really.
You can order the brake pad wear sensors for cheap. Or you can just leave the connector intact and snip the wear sensor loop off and splice it together, if it still doesn't go out you may have some solder issues in the cluster.
Starmavin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Rust free sunroof panel for E21 Oahu320is OEM Parts 0 06-11-2006 04:50 PM
my poor bimmer BuRgUnDy_BiMmEr 3-Series (E36) 22 03-04-2006 04:09 PM
horrible bimmer kingnader 3-Series (E46, E90) 9 07-13-2004 02:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome