Runs Rich, Can't Pass Emissions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
77th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Hello, I guess I will get straight to it..
My 1986 325e w/ Dinan ECU upgrade won't pass the emissions test in Georgia (although it has in the past) and I don't have any friends that live in a county that doesn't do the exhaust check, so I can't register it outside of the Metro Atlanta area unfortunately. Even taking the chip into consideration, it doesn't get the mileage that it should, and it runs rich even when warm. The injectors were professionally cleaned less than 2 weeks ago (before I saw the thread about hot soaking, etc...) and they are the second set of injectors in the car. I have the receipt from the previous owner having bought new OEM injectors and having them installed about 50,000 miles ago, so I HOPE that I dont' have to do the same thing again since those things are NOT cheap! I have recently had ALL fluids completely flushed and filled, injectors/valves cleaned, new filters everywhere, Bosch Platinum +2 plugs, New Distributor Cap and Rotor, what else would you recommend? New thermostat with different opening temp maybe? Can I adjust the Air/Fuel mix manually? The car is hard to start when completely cold, but much quicker when the engine is still at least a little bit warm, if that helps anyone.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Josh W.
1986 Arctic Blue 325e

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
suggestion? take out the performance ecu. then put it back after you pass. the 325e should pass with flying colors. with the stock ecu my 325e with 180,000 miles produced less than 1/4 of the allowable emissions in all 3 categories.

which emission is high? have to change different things to change different outputs..

#3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:34 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
I will have to check the emissions sheet, but all measurements were out of range. Did no pass one single part of the inspection. The problem with switching back to a stock ECU is that I don't have one. The car came already equipped with the performance chip, and didn't have the old one for me to switch between, otherwise that would have been my first course of action.

Any other ideas?

This one could me to

Thanks again

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
#4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by 325eXTATIC@Apr 18 2005, 10:34 AM
I will have to check the emissions sheet, but all measurements were out of range. Did no pass one single part of the inspection. The problem with switching back to a stock ECU is that I don't have one. The car came already equipped with the performance chip, and didn't have the old one for me to switch between, otherwise that would have been my first course of action.

Any other ideas?

This one could me to

Thanks again

Josh W.
[snapback]334329[/snapback]
i have 2 stock ecus as well as a performance ecu laying around gathering dust.

i have one lone stock "chip" and one stock entire ecu box.

make me a fair offer and ill sell you it.

#5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 02:05 PM
n00b

Redneck M5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does you car have a cat?

The one in my '87 325ic needed one at 113K before it would pass smog before I bought it.

I'm in People's Republic of California. Home of Smog Nazi's
#6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

jze325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 325eXTATIC@Apr 18 2005, 12:34 PM
My 1986 325e w/ Dinan ECU upgrade won't pass the emissions test in Georgia (although it has in the past) and I don't have any friends that live in a county that doesn't do the exhaust check, so I can't register it outside of the Metro Atlanta area unfortunately. Even taking the chip into consideration, it doesn't get the mileage that it should, and it runs rich even when warm. The injectors were professionally cleaned less than 2 weeks ago (before I saw the thread about hot soaking, etc...) and they are the second set of injectors in the car. I have the receipt from the previous owner having bought new OEM injectors and having them installed about 50,000 miles ago, so I HOPE that I dont' have to do the same thing again since those things are NOT cheap! I have recently had ALL fluids completely flushed and filled, injectors/valves cleaned, new filters everywhere, Bosch Platinum +2 plugs, New Distributor Cap and Rotor, what else would you recommend? New thermostat with different opening temp maybe? Can I adjust the Air/Fuel mix manually? The car is hard to start when completely cold, but much quicker when the engine is still at least a little bit warm, if that helps anyone.

Josh W.
1986 Arctic Blue 325e
[snapback]334259[/snapback]

That performane chip do anything for ya???
#7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by 325eXTATIC@Apr 18 2005, 09:34 AM

Josh W.
1986 Arctic Blue 325e
[snapback]334259[/snapback]
first of all pull out the platnum plugs and put in the bosch super copper tips, for some reason the cars run better with them, and it sounds like your cats gone and given up on you.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
n00b

Nostaticatall is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you changed your Oxy sensor?

<span style='font-family:Times'>1987 325 is
Color:Red
Mods: BFG Traction T/A's(more to come)
Runs like a hyiena on steroids....</span>
#9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 08:02 AM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
That performane chip do anything for ya???
[snapback]334418[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, for my experience, my 325 is pretty damn fast! The redline is still regulated, but at a much higher limit. The car came with the chip already so I don't have a before and after comparison to give you, but with the rev limiter at 5500 and the fuel being much more freely delivered (obvious by the title of this thread... lol) it MOVES! With the 2.7 litre and more torque than the non Eta's, it is QUICK for the first 2 gears up to redline. Still fast once into the higer gears, but the acceleration drops off because the higher gears are pretty tall.

Josh

Quote:

#10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Pandemonium Director

When I installed the chip before and after in my 325(e) there was a pretty noticable difference. The upper end still isnt that high due mostly to the intake runners are too restrictive on the eta, but the low end torque is pretty feelable. Its supposed to be right under 200ft/lb with the chip and I believe it. With a 5 speed manual I was able to do nice burnouts. That is, when my clutch actually had enough grip to not burn out itself =P

and email me extatic, i'll just send you the chip for free. its not helping me any right now having 3 extra ecus, rather help out a fellow bimmer owner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)