:rule just got my e30 and need help fast guys . - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
CoryMStew is on a distinguished road
:rule just got my e30 and need help fast guys .

ok so i just bought my first car a 1986 325es she is pretty good running car except for a few problems . I hope you guys can help me out on some short cut DYI's and advice on the car im totally in love with it . and dont mind living under the hood all day ,

Major problem im having is that . the car overheats when ideling for about a good 20 minutes , i through some antifreeze in her and she seemed to take a bit longer to get up to the red but it did . (it lingers around 3/4) once it gets close to the red it start ideling crazy so i shut the car off usaully .
one thing i noticed already is that the fan clutch never kicks into high gear . it stays spiinning very slowly . It's very loose and i can stop it with one hand .. The car engine is very very very clean besides when i for got to bleed the antifreeze before putting it in the car . so it was maintained pretty damn well .
my thermostat shouldnt be bad because it heats up on the hose after thermostat.
my father who owns a 533i and a 635csi has a couple fans that he said i could use if they would fit one off of eacch car. the difference here is that his are mechanical fans that spin with the engine besides an electric swith the tells it to turn it self on . . . now will the one off the 533 i fit? btw the A/C is not in use its there but no belts are wrapped around its pully . i havent really got to drive her like i want to because i am too worried ill over heat and crack the aluminum head. Also the fan in front of the car . the closest one to the grill also wont start. , . does anyone have any advice for me .

MINORS

i need a new Mufler and power steering pump .
the power assist seems to work but at certain wheel posistion i have to appl a little more muscle to it .
then theres the passenger window .. it doesnt role down and the switch doesnt light up at all . maybe that could be the switch or a bad window i am not sure . . .

other then that with a paint job she'll be back to her 80's days fresh

im very interested to know if i can put the mechanical fan in cause that is what i would like to do . or will i need a replacement electric one

-CORY
CoryMStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
W00T

Car: 1991 E30 318i 2008 E92 328i
Photos:
Numark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
the fan in there should have a clutch. the clutch is prolly bad and needs to be replaced. easy fix.

The fan in front of the radiator I am not so sure. My 318 only turned that fan on when it was 100 degrees outside. Might be different for a 325 though.

The window switch. I would try swapping the switch you know works with the "bad" one. If that fixes it then buy a new switch.(Dont buy aftermarket...get a BMW one. I found out the hard way that the non stock ones are not worth the 15$ you save.

If it is the motor for the window it should be an easy fix. Take the door panel off and replace the motor with a used one from a wrecked car. Replacement might take a few hours, but the door panels dont have too much going on inside of them so it will be relatively easy.

Muffler is an easy fix. Buy a new oem one and bolt it on. Or get a magna flow and have it welded on. You can go with a more pricy option, but thats up to you. Watch some youtube videos and se what exhaust fits your need.

The power steering..is a bitch. If the pump i sbad I would also replace the non high pressure lines and filler housing(also acts as a filter) while replacing the rest. Make sure your steering rack doesn't leak while you have it all apart as it is a good time to replace it if you have it all apart. ( i replaced mine with a z4 rack for a smaller lock to lock on my 318. also check the high pressure ps lines, but those are prolly fine as they are built pretty sturdy.

Enjoy the car. E30's are the best.( :
Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ah that was my most common answer for the fan clutch and as far as the bolt on exhaust goes where can i get those at me and my dad are very interested to here because he has a muffler he wants to give me .
Old 11-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fan clutch is in and shes a beast again i love my e30 . the mechanical fan i went with came out of an e28 it was free so why not take it
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Cool news!

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)