rough running and no idea why.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 12:00 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mdaitc is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi,

i'll start from the beginning - 'tis a very good place to start....

My brother in law used to have a wrecker/towing business - he towed an '84 318i and an '85 318i.

the '84 had a head gasket problem, and the '85 wasn't too bad apart from the radiator being shot.

To cut a long story short, the '84 is the only one with the good title, so that's the car i have to run.

I took the head off to replace the gasket, and found out that the head was cracked. So i replaced it with the head off the '85 model. I put it all back together and it seemed to be not too bad for a basically rebuilt motor. It was a little rough, and i put this down to needing some run in time and old parts.

At this point, it had a really rough idle - if at all, and seems to misfire.

After much Tender Loving Care, and 300 miles, and new filter,oil,air filter, plugs wires it still misses. I've gotten the "best" of the 2 cars, idle control, coil, air flow sensor, barometer and none of this seemed to help.

I've checked all of the vacuum tubing and that seems fine. It's had 2 or 3 injector cleaner liquids gone thru it.

Despite that, it seems to run fine - i haven't got an accurate MPG figure yet, the speedo cog still needs replaced.

The other problem i have.. is when it gets driven at high RPM, 5k-6k range, and then the motor is stopped a few miles later, it will not restart no matter what i try... i've tried swapping ECU from the other car and nothing... and when run without it at least fires and runs for 5 seconds. Leaving it overnight seems to be the only thing to do.

SO to cut a long and many dirty hand hours short, it runs rough at idle, and why it still misses.. if anyone has any idea at all, i'd be much obliged!

Thanks,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 06:28 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mdaitc is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok, i solved it.... twas the plugs. The ones autozone "recommended" don't seem to fire at all once they get a little damp, and only produce a smaller spark in the air. It runs a lot better now, but i still don't think i'm getting enough flame so to speak...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)