Rotors - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Rotors

Well, what do you think, stock, drilled, or slotted? I'm just tossing this out there to see what people think of it. My rotors have been turned enough already from the previous owner that when the time comes to replace the pads(tons of wear left), I think I'll do front and rear rotors as well.
PhatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
I think my stock brakes work great. I would stick with a quality stock replacement. The only change I would make to the E30 brake system is the brake fluid on a regular basis (i think it's two years), Stainless Steel Brake lines, and of course some dustless pads.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
Yeh I'dput the money into a good brake fluid flush and new fluid, stainless hoses and good shoes.
Mintex ctech?
Pagid blue?
Dust is definetly an issue though.
Ive heard of low quality aftermarket non OEM discs causing vibrations due to imbalance.
The bavauto discs look good to me. Havent tried them yet.
I'd like to get slotted and drilled, get both cooling and deglazing properties.
My buddy still races his 2002 with stock discs, and some super metalic pads.
We ran ceramic race compound once back in the day LOL, great for the track (Willow Springs) once they warmed up, but no good for auto cross cause they dont grab when cold ie half of the timed lap.

Rfitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
The rotors off of a supercharged 93 vw corrado are about 11 inches, they will take stock brakes but you have to space out your caliper bracket to make them fit. The added diameter really helps you stop better. If there was any demand I could reproduce these brackets. For a nominal fee of course B)

For my car, I'm having hats machined to fit modified 12 inch rotors so I can use a set of 4 piston calipers from a mitsubushi 3000gt vr4 twin turbo AWD then I'm going to install a slightly altered brake master cyl from a 750il.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
I have been looking at Brembo aftermarket drilled rotors. I can get all four for about $145US. Mind you that's Ebay, I would hope the seller is selling the real deal that they say they are.
Got my brakes flushed and bled on Monday and the old dot fluid was pretty gross, had good stuff put in. The pedal feels better, but I have one very minor warp in a rear rotor and I think that's holding the system back, along with mediocre pads. Being that they have already been machined, a good set of pads and rotors should be great. I have had ceramic pads suggested as the 'best way to go', but like Rfitz says, they need some time to warm up, don't they?
Starmavin, four pistons would kick ass, especially with a 12 inch rotor!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Thumbs down

i wanna get cross drilled rotors i pulled off my rear cailpers and pulled the pistons out and a jello like substance sludged it's way out (my friend never tried actually bleeding the rear Brakes) it was funny and REALLY scary that they actually woked(Frount Wasn't as bad) if there are and mispells it is because halfway through this post my monitor when crazy and blurred the screen and i can barly see the text
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
The rotors off of a supercharged 93 vw corrado are about 11 inches, they will take stock brakes but you have to space out your caliper bracket to make them fit. The added diameter really helps you stop better. If there was any demand I could reproduce these brackets. For a nominal fee of course B)

For my car, I'm having hats machined to fit modified 12 inch rotors so I can use a set of 4 piston calipers from a mitsubushi 3000gt vr4 twin turbo AWD then I'm going to install a slightly altered brake master cyl from a 750il.
I've got a set of JFZ all aluminum 4 pistons with said custom brackets and with said corrado rotors on my Scirocco with a 25mm MC, does the job

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 12-07-2006 at 02:24 AM.
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
joshh is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't throw your money away with cross drilled rotors they aren't going to add anything performance wise except empty your wallet more.
Slotted or even blanks are the way to go. As already stated, clean fluid new pads and they will stop the car as good as the cross drilled and they wont crack on you if you track the car.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
ok first of, i dont know your experiance with racing or whatnot but i have yet to see xdrilled rotors crack on anything less than 4000 lbs..

Second you WILL notice a difference with xdrilled pads in perforance in that you wont get insane amounts of brake fade and your pads will last longer...the slotted rotor is a "stronger" attempt at the exact same thing but with less results.

I have run both and am currently running brembo slotted rotors cause i got them for damn near free, otherwise i WOULD be running zimmermans...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Do you do track days (HPDE's)? I have seen them hairline crack on Integras and Hondas before. You rarely see drilled rotors on a race car because the drilled rotors can't hold as much heat so really they overheat faster than a slotted or blank rotor. Less mass=less heat absorption.
If drilled rotors where that much better, you'd see them in every form of racing out there.
Even Porsche admitted to only using them for looks and rain dissipation.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
yes i have been in all forms of racing from carts to solo2 to HPDE and time trials since i was 12....not once have i ever cracked a set of xdrilled rotors.....ever.....

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
That's great but if they were better don't you think you'd see them in just about every form of racing.
Did you not notice very few other were using them? It's not because they are that much more expensive.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
WHY Blank rotors are better than cross drilled and/or slotted

Heres a good read.
Yeah, it's a Honda site...
Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
It is fairly obvious to me that who ever wrote that is in college that mom and dad are paying for and needs to get his nose out of the books and actually get his hands dirty before making statements like that. Because if you actually read his write up you'll see that he contradicts himself badly throughout the whole thing..

In his "BIG BRAKE KIT" part he seemed to have skipped the chapter in his physics book that he refers to so much that covers torque and furculum. If you are so young that you can't remember records then you may be lost on this, take a record and have some on spin it on a pencil then take your index fingers and press from both sides inward closer to the center, then try that further out. This will explain big brake function. And why it works even though the pad size doesn't change.

Sounds to me who ever wrote that up has been educated beyond his ability to reason, and has NO racing experience.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
If you are so young that you can't remember records then you may be lost on this, take a record and have some on spin it on a pencil then take your index fingers and press from both sides inward closer to the center, then try that further out.
That's a great analogy, Starmavin. It's funny, I was jsut commenting to a co-worker that the Boney-M Christmas song on the radio at the time was played alot at my 'rents when I was a kid on 33 1/3's! They still have a really sweet old school jukebox(the real deal, not a modern replica that plays CD's) that plays 45's. Ah, vinyl...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)