Rocker arm - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
llll1l1ll is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to llll1l1ll
(Thread Starter)
My dad says I should just replace the rocker arm. Well, that's obvious. But the thing is, my engine has well over 200k on it. I like to drive spiritedly, and I know something else is bound to happen with some of the other cylinders. I'm thinking I'm just going to replace the rocker arm, and then buy a new/rebuilt engine. That seems like the best idea at the moment. Because, I really don't want to keep dumping money in the engine if its going to break down again and again. I'd rather spend 700 for a used one with 88k on the clock, rather than spend 1.20 each week for a quart of oil, and a periodic 70 or 80 dollars a month on fixing some random thing that broke. My car-as a body-already has enough problems as it is. I'd almost like to get a whole new E30, but that would require a bit too much work. I know of a place that can get me a cheap engine. My dad won't like it, and nor will my mom. I, however, feel its the best decision, considering as how I've paid for the entire car, and every problem... including the fuse my dad blew.

Three rocker arms later and I still haven't learned my lesson!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

flipsgonetopless is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to flipsgonetopless
Well let me tell you that replacing the whole enigine is kind of a tricky and tidious work, I just replaced the engine on my 89 e30... the thing I fucked up on was removing the engine with the Torque Converter still on the block. You have to remove the converter before you remove the engine, also the bolts that that hole the tranny to the block are star head bolts so be prepared for that. I got under the car with my metric tools and to my surprise , the only thing I can tell you is make sure the torque converter is still in tact with the tranny or you will break the hydrolic pump on the tranny and there goes that... another tranny. Well if there are any more questions just ask and what ever I can help you with (advice and such) just ask. B)
#3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 04:36 AM
n00b

toffa182 is an unknown quantity at this point
you can actually take out the engine without removing the gearbox. just lift the front of the car, remove radiator, loosen all the mounts, flip the rear end of the engine/gearbox package down and lift the engine out. voilá!
#4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Fox

Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic transmissions are longer, not saying it cant be done but that its different from a manual gear box.

Keep the engine. Fix the rocker. Wear the crap out of the car. Its worth it. If you keep the car for a year or two its well worth the money you spent for it. And really i can tell you just got the car kinda because thats what happens when you get a used car. Everything breaks at the same time and piles up on you. It seems like the car is a piece of junk. But once you get those few things fixed nothing goes wrong for a long time and still thats minor stuff.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>
Diplomacy is saying &quot;nice doggy&quot; until you find a rock.</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)