Right Forum this time. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2004, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
drwambo is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all,
Posted this in the wrong forum yesterday. Duuuuuhhhh. just call me a noob!

I recently purchased an 84 325E for $600.00. The body is in pretty good shape, although I may find out if I have any body work skills! Anyway, has about 4 zillion miles and a recently (30K miles) rebuilt motor. Tranny feels good. - Shifter linkage is sloppy, and I can't get my fat fingers in there to swap out the $&)*(@# selecter bushing! At least I got the quibo replaced and working fine.

Anyway, a few problems (besides the &)$@# shifter bushing):

1) Purchased a Haynes Manual - is anything better? CD's?
2) Driver's seat has a broken hinge on the right side. Can this be welded?
3) Looks like PO had a floorboard water problem. Trying to narrow that one down and blow out all of the drainage channels.
4) Both seat backs fall all the way back when the release is pulled. I read somewhere that this might be repairable.
5) Brakes need to be re-padded at least, and Is there any way to turn off the annoying Brake Lining light (other than killing the bulb or buying a new sensor?)
6) I need a new left front fender - what years fenders will fit my 325. How about interior parts (most notably the console, I just don't have a need for a casette holder....

Now for the really interesting problem....

The car sat in a garage for about 3 years while the PO's Son and his friends turned it into pot palace. How can I clean that crap out. I can't imagine getting pulled over by Billy Bob and his faithful friend Shemp, the drug sniffing dog....
Not to mention the fact that my wife is a teacher. I don't even want to think about how she would explain why the drug dogs are humping her Bimmer because it smells so much of old pot.

Does the smell have a half life?

This is my first foray into German cars (I'm still trying to sell my 77 MG Midget), but I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
So, am I lucky or stupid?

Thanks in advance,

Douglas
drwambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Mach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
I will see how I do on your questions.

1) The Bentley manual is much better but more expensive. Available for Robert Bentley publishers or most vendors, (Turner motorsport, Bravarian Auto, etc..)
2) Could most likley be welded but I would replace the seat as there is a saftey issue here. Check a junk yard for a good frame and put your upholstrey on it.
3) make sure all the rains are open, but you might find that it is rusted on the outside corners where the "dead pedal" would be.
4) There is a pressurized gas shock in the seat back that has gone bad. It is repairable.
5) Pull the bulb?
6) I don't know

As for the smell. My second car had the same problem. I cleaned the hell out of the carpet and the headliner and cleaned the leather seats. It went away shortly after the cleaning. Febreeze and Ozeum(SP?) will also help.
Ben
Old 04-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fox

Car:
Photos:
Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Fox Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox
1) I use Bentleys i think its the best but have never seen a haynes one.
2) Dunno, Im not a welding man myself
3) I dont understand the question but if you have a leak on the floorboard its 80% the heatercore
4) Not fixable for this is how Recaro Seats come. The powerpiston is for the seat leaning forward to open the back seats.
5) Disconnect the sensor on the calipers.
6) Anything from 84-88 I believe... i thin that the 89-91 plastic bumpers had different shaped fenders, not sure though.

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)