3-Series (E21, E30)Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.
175K is nothing for an M20, I've boosted m20's with over 200k. Boosting it shouldn't be a problem so long as it isn't anything extreme (+5 lbs on stock compression/components) However there are a few basics that you have to cover first: Do a compression test, and then a cyl leak down test. Is it a manual or automatic? (the 4hp22 auto is stong but the manual is stronger) Familiarize yourself with certain weakness in the IX drivetrain and plan to correct them (i.e. stripping front driveshaft splines, worn out transfer case chains.)
LOL, the 4HP22 is garbage. Those transmissions had enough issues on a stock car let alone something with boost.
As far as the mileage the 175K is nothing but before you plan any mods get the car 100% caught up on maintenance. Timing belt, plug wire set, spark plugs, water pump, valve adjustment, new engine drive belts, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, transmission, transfer case front and rear diff fluid change, check all the suspension pieces for wear, flex disc, center bearing, make sure all the lights work inside and out.
The zahnradfabrik friedrichshafen aktiengesellschaft 4hp22 is a strong lightweight transmission that with a few internal mods can handle over 400 hp. The 4hp22 is installed in all of these cars listed below and that I have yet to see one fail with under 150k, it's reliability is proven.
* 1980–1982 Lincoln Continental V8 5.0L
* 1981–1987 BMW E28 528e M20/B27
* 1983–1988 BMW E30 325e M20/B27
* 1983–1985 BMW E28 524td M21/D24
* 1983–1984 BMW E28 533i M30/B32
* 1983–1989 BMW E24 633CSi M30/B32
* 1983–1984 BMW E23 733i M30/B32
* 1984–1985 BMW E30 318i M10/B18
* 1984–1987 BMW E28 535i M30/B34
* 1984–1992 BMW E23 735i M30/B34
* 1986–1992 BMW E30 325i M20/B25
* 1986–1993 Volvo 740 2.3L
* 1986–1991 Volvo 760 2.3L
* 1987–1991 BMW E30 325ix M20/B25
* 1987–1993 Jaguar XJ40 3.6
* 1987–1997 Jaguar XJS 3.6
* 1987–2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0L
* 1987–1996 Peugeot 505 2.0
* 1987–1996 Peugeot 505 2.5
* 1987–1996 Peugeot 505 2.2
* 1987–1989 Peugeot 604 2.5
* 1988–1990 BMW E34 525i M20/B25
* 1988–1993 BMW E34 535i M30/B30
* 1988–1992 BMW E32 735iL M30/B35
* 1988–1997 Maserati Biturbo 2.5 V6
* 1988–1997 Maserati Biturbo 2.8 V6
* 1991–1995 Volvo 940 2.3L
* 1992–1999 Land Rover Discovery 3.9L
* 1997–2002 Austin Tempest 4.0L
* 1999–2003 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4.0L
# 4HP22HL (rear-engine)
* 1989–1993 Porsche 911 Carrera II 3.6L
* 1993–1998 Porsche 993 3.6L
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.