reverse lights - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jfertita is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
reverse lights

hey guys i drive an 86 325 and i've had the car for about 2 years now. when i first had it inspected it passed with no problems at all, well now it is inspection time again and i noticed a few weeks ago that my reverse lights do not come on. the bulbs are brand new and all the other tail lights work. at first i thought it could be the neutral safety switch, is that the problem? help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
I've got a short somewhere between the shifter and the switch on the tranny.....currently my reverse lights work.....they didn't for a while....when I get around to it I'm going to replace the wiring from the shifter down....

is it a clutch or auto?

#3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
its a clutch
#4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
On the passenger side of the trans towards the top you'll find the reverse light switch, it has a two blade connector. (kind of a bitch to change)
#5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
^^^ I would test to see if power is getting to the switch before you commit yourself to a change......in my case the wiring going to the switch is bad....I've heard alot of times the connectors on the switch just need to be secured better....

test for power, make sure the wires have good contact...and if you need to replace the switch...

#6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Neutral Member

Crispy1st is on a distinguished road
I just noticed the same thing on my '87 325. Backing up and no lights. Also a manual trans.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
alright thanks, ill check out the wires and the connector and keep you guys posted

btw just sent my car in for a fresh paint job today
#8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice
I had to replace my switch when I first got the 525i. It wasnt that hard. And I got the switch for $8.00 at Napa.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:44 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Before you go jacking up your car and causing yourself a lot of unnecessary drama, do this first: Pull up your shift boot, in there you'll find a white two wire connector, two of these wires go through the lower shifter boot. This is your back up switch circuit, unplug and test with an ohm meter, with the trans in reverse you should have continuity between the terminals that go into the boot. On the other end you should have 12V on one of the terminals with the key in the "run" position. If you do have 12V, bridge the terminals and your reverse light should light up. If not you have other problems than the switch.

P.S. I have found that this wire gets pinched if the trans is ever lowered, often times blowing the fuse, also killing the blower motor and gauges…
#10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
i had my clutch changed a few thousand miles ago, the guy who did it said there were a bunch of frayed wires by my transmission but he repaired them. unfortunantly i dont know how long my reverse lights havent been working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)