BMW Werkz banner

Replacing Mast Antenna

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  nukeduster 
#1 ·
After looking at my ugly stump for months, I've decided to do something about my busted mast antenna. Thing is, I don't know how to get the stock one out! I know it's a power antenna assembly of course, but there are a ton of mounting bolts and brackets under the carpet for the assembly, and the (what looks like) retainer nut on the exterior of the car (flying saucer cap that screws onto the mast assembly, has a slot on either side) will not get the hell off. I've sprayed it with WD40, taken numerous tools to it (which scratched the hell out of the chrome base for the mast) and tried for an hour to dissasemble the unit from inside the trunk (which lead to a whack in the head, a shorted fuse (trunk light was pulled so it wouldn't drain battery, accidentally made contact with trunk lid, blew out my radio), and a bruised ego, I reassembled my trunk and called it a day.

How does the stupid thing come out? :wrench

#2 ·
When the aerial was new it would have come with a key that fitted into the slots on the top outside of the aerial. This has to come off try a pair of pointed nose pliers. Inside you should have a 10mm nut and bolt holding a radio bar to the body an earth cable bolted to the body a screw connector for the aerial lead and a block connector for the 2 feeds..

#3 ·
Damn, no key to be found anywhere. Grrr.

Question: anyone know of a good aftermarket antenna for the E30? I don't want to set down the $300 for a new BMW power assembly.

#5 ·
i just replaced my antenna mast. just the mast itself, not the motor assembly. the mast only cost $20 some bills.

be sure that your motor is dead before replacing the entire thing. i would take off the mast itself by unbolting the grommet at the base of the antenna. ones that is loose, turn the radio on and the antenna will extend. help it along its way and pull the entire antenna out. installation of a new mast is just the opposite. i got my antenna mast from bmpdesign.com.

btw, milo, that site has a great price on the motor! everywhere i have ever seen it was list price!

#6 ·
Great prices, and great service. What's real nice is the perks as your cart value goes up... $50 gets free shipping, $100 gets a sweepstakes entry, $200 or something gets an additional 2% off. If you are gonna spend, might as well get the most for your parts moula.

#7 ·
Broadway... check your Bentley for the mast instructions. It's in there. You just gotta wrestle out the trim panel ;) I just pulled my antenna motor out yesterday and cleaned out the grime and grit, as the PO put a spring-loaded fixed mast on the car, and it looks pretty crappy. I need to test the motor yet to see if I am spending $16 or $60.

#10 ·
:cry Is that a... power mast antenna... for only $70??

Saved again by the forum. Thanks guys. That would be excellent. As a matter of fact, $300 WAS the dealer. All the shops in town told me it was the only place to get it.

#12 ·
Originally posted by offabroadway@May 24 2005, 10:46 AM
:cry Is that a... power mast antenna... for only $70??

Saved again by the forum. Thanks guys. That would be excellent. As a matter of fact, $300 WAS the dealer. All the shops in town told me it was the only place to get it.
[snapback]347532[/snapback]​
ive never had to ever shop for a part from a dealer. if you need to, pm me and i can find the p/n and a supplier for any part. i do performance parts sales for a living, not much hassle to look em up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.