Replacing lower ball joint - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
Replacing lower ball joint

do i really have to replace the ENTIRE control arm if i've damaged the outer/lower ball joint? haynes says i have to, and so does bently. but i rented a press and i have the replacement ball joint. i really don't want to have to replace an entire control arm (arm, bushing, outer and inner ball joints).
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
No, you can buy them and press them in. Just make sure that the person that is doing it knows what he is doing and/or has the correct adapters...
Old 04-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
ok. that guy..is me. the box has simple direction on it. let me know what i should do. i can type out the directions if you need it. thanks man
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Old 04-10-2006, 05:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Scotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
You're looking at this the wrong way. Listen, you're replacing the control...which includes inner and outter ball joints. it has nothing to do with the rear bushing. When I first did mine, I thought like you, but then I realized...I have to take the damn control arm all the way off the vehicle to replace the balljoint, why not do them both and just swap out the part? The price really isn't that bad, autohauz lists it at $67 shipped, and that's assembled with both balljoints. Having replaced a few balljoints in my time, I'd rather pay the $67, trust me.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman
You're looking at this the wrong way. Listen, you're replacing the control...which includes inner and outter ball joints. it has nothing to do with the rear bushing. When I first did mine, I thought like you, but then I realized...I have to take the damn control arm all the way off the vehicle to replace the balljoint, why not do them both and just swap out the part? The price really isn't that bad, autohauz lists it at $67 shipped, and that's assembled with both balljoints. Having replaced a few balljoints in my time, I'd rather pay the $67, trust me.
I would really like to have that part number and where I could find a autohauz here. Considering just the ball joint is $40 alone and you are saying that the whole control arm is $67 I'll be all over that like white on rice...
Old 04-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Hotdog! I found it, damn that's the cheapest I've ever seen them. I think I'll buy a pair just to keep as a spare! (I have to wonder about the quality considering the price) PN 31121127725 www.autohausaz.com
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
so the consensus is, i should just replace the entire control arm instead?
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Old 04-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
W00T

Car: 1991 E30 318i 2008 E92 328i
Photos:
Numark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardJ
so the consensus is, i should just replace the entire control arm instead?
yea. I have done it three times so far...easier to replace the entire arm.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
Hotdog! I found it, damn that's the cheapest I've ever seen them. I think I'll buy a pair just to keep as a spare! (I have to wonder about the quality considering the price) PN 31121127725 www.autohausaz.com

I've used parts from autohauz any number of times, both on my BMW, and on my wife's volvo. There has never been a quality problem, as most of the parts are from the same maker you'll get if you order from Bavarian, or BMP, just cheaper. and the free shipping on all orders over $50 is sweet.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
...so if i order a control arm,i don't have to order a new bushing? sorry for the 20 questions
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Old 04-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
no, the bushing is completely seperate from the control arm....er..alright, the rear of the control arm is a simple round shaft that slides through the middle of the rear bushing. spray a little PB blaster, or WD40, or whatever, on the shaft. Then unbolt the balljoints, and work it free slowly. slide new control arm into bushing, slide new balljoint studs into place, torque as specified. and you're home free. I'm guessing if you do the job with the entire new control arm, you're looking at like a half an hour job.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
W00T

Car: 1991 E30 318i 2008 E92 328i
Photos:
Numark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardJ
...so if i order a control arm,i don't have to order a new bushing? sorry for the 20 questions
when i got my arms they had the bushings in them already. just had to swap out the old part with the new.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i
when i got my arms they had the bushings in them already. just had to swap out the old part with the new.
I'm sure you mean that they had the new BALL JOINTS in them already. The control arm BUSHING is NOT bolted to the control arm, and will not come with it. It's a seperate part, and you don't need it to replace the control arm.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
alright it sounds like i'll order two new control arms. hopefully my LAST question: if its that easy to take the control arm out of the bushing, how easy is it to remove the inner ball joint? it doesn't look like it would come out without a fight.
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Old 04-13-2006, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
The inner balljoint is a bit of a bitch, I believe the last time I did it, I used a ratchet wrench in the correct size, and that seemed to be the persuasion it needed. I've been involved with others who simply used a smoke wrench (torch) to persuade it to come off, and that worked pretty handily as well. Just have to be carefull not to torch the flat surface of the subframe. with a little work, maybe starting out with a regular wrench and a cheater bar, or a ratchet with an extension and universal joint, you can get it loose, then finish up with whatever seems right to you. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)