Replacing Instrument Panel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gnu2bimmerz is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Replacing Instrument Panel

Or something like it.

1990 325i, AT.

I'm pretty sure the batteries in my instrument panel are almost dead. My Brake Lining light comes on intermittently (I've replaced both the pads and the sensors), and occasionally the temp gauge sticks when I first start it up, but then releases after a second or two. Neither the odometer or the trip odometer works, but that might be a gear issue and not the batteries.

I've got a line on a used instrument panel that I was considering buying to do a swap out. The only issue is, the one I'm looking at buying has higher miles on it than what mine has now. I know it shouldn't be an issue, especially since the odometer isn't working and I really have no idea how many miles are on the car (is there any way to find out?).

Is there a way to reset the miles on the replacement? If not, I may just use it anyway after I swap out the rechargeable batteries as long as everything else seems to be in working order.

Is there anything else I may have missed or that I should look at?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 AM
n00b

soooooawesome is on a distinguished road
You could "roll back" your new odometer, but that may end up looking suspicious to any future owners of the car if you ever sell. If I were you I would do the swap asap based on the fact that the temp needle sticks. I'm sure you realize that overheating your engine is catastrophic.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I was thinking the same thing. The difference in mileage really isn't that big of a concern to me. I plan on keeping the car for quite some time, as it keeps me out of the bars at night. ;-)

For some reason it doesn't put as big of a hit on my wallet as the bars do either.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

romeomike is on a distinguished road
Post I'm not so sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2bimmerz View Post
Or something like it.

1990 325i, AT.

I'm pretty sure the batteries in my instrument panel are almost dead. My Brake Lining light comes on intermittently (I've replaced both the pads and the sensors), and occasionally the temp gauge sticks when I first start it up, but then releases after a second or two. Neither the odometer or the trip odometer works, but that might be a gear issue and not the batteries.

I've got a line on a used instrument panel that I was considering buying to do a swap out. The only issue is, the one I'm looking at buying has higher miles on it than what mine has now. I know it shouldn't be an issue, especially since the odometer isn't working and I really have no idea how many miles are on the car (is there any way to find out?).

Is there a way to reset the miles on the replacement? If not, I may just use it anyway after I swap out the rechargeable batteries as long as everything else seems to be in working order.

Is there anything else I may have missed or that I should look at?

Thanks!
Given where your brake lining sensor wiring sits, it's very easy for them to fray/cut, thus triggering the false alarms.

I've seen my temp gauge stick on full cold and my fuel gauge stick on full, and a gentle tap on the cluster wakes them up as it were.

Somewhere around your model year, BMW changed to a better kind of battery for the SI that has a much longer life. As an example, my 91 is still living on the originals.

You're probably right that it's a gear issue with your odometer. Here's one link on odometer gear changeout as part of an instrument panel dress-up:

15 steps to a Cluster Makeover! *56k No Wai!* - e30tech.com Forums

There are other articles out there, but you'll have to hunt for them. You could also pull a cluster out of a salvage yard with less mileage on it.

Adios for now
#5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
If the battery in mine is one of the "better ones", I wouldn't be surprised. That Brake Lining light issue seems to be very related to the battery issue. Whenever the light does come on, it always stays on for about the same amount of time, a recharge issue maybe? Since the car is 19 YO, and I'm assuming the battery is the same age, 1+3.9=26.3 (or something like that ;-) ).
#6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

romeomike is on a distinguished road
Smile Checking brake sensors a bit easier than removing instrument panel

I haven't driven the 90 convertible all that much (15,000 in four years, 140K on the odometer), and never had an issue with the brake lining light. As a sidelight, since the sensors are only on the left front and right rear wheels, it's not a substitute for periodic visual inspection of all wheels (especially if you bought it used).

With the 91 (bought new, now at 173K), I'd get intermittent and inconsistent illumination of the brake lining warning light. The pads were OK, the sensor wiring was frayed. I'd buy some time with electrical tape, but eventually the light came on full time. I've driven 20,000 miles since my last brake job and have had no issues with the brake lining warning light in that time.

Have a blessed weekend.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 04:48 AM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
same issue with the brake lining light.

those sensor wires really need to be taped down. Have yet to find something that really works. somehow my zip ties didnt even work. Beh..im just gonna put new sensors on and tape the new sensor to the shock.

#8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomike View Post
I haven't driven the 90 convertible all that much (15,000 in four years, 140K on the odometer), and never had an issue with the brake lining light. As a sidelight, since the sensors are only on the left front and right rear wheels, it's not a substitute for periodic visual inspection of all wheels (especially if you bought it used).

With the 91 (bought new, now at 173K), I'd get intermittent and inconsistent illumination of the brake lining warning light. The pads were OK, the sensor wiring was frayed. I'd buy some time with electrical tape, but eventually the light came on full time. I've driven 20,000 miles since my last brake job and have had no issues with the brake lining warning light in that time.

Have a blessed weekend.
Just replaced the sensors about 2 weeks ago along with the pads for all 4 wheels. They're so cheap, it's almost stupid not to replace them when doing the brakes.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i View Post
same issue with the brake lining light.

those sensor wires really need to be taped down. Have yet to find something that really works. somehow my zip ties didnt even work. Beh..im just gonna put new sensors on and tape the new sensor to the shock.
Are you using the "white" zip ties? The ones I use are the same ones I use at work (not cheap), and I haven't had any problems.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2bimmerz View Post
Are you using the "white" zip ties? The ones I use are the same ones I use at work (not cheap), and I haven't had any problems.

Update:

Those zip ties suck too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)