Replacement Lights - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 11:43 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
(Thread Starter)
Replacement Lights

the lights went out on my on board computer and the lights behind the air controls. anyone have any experience changing them? i can't find a way to take the instrument panel out.

-Wardo

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Last year the back light (which I found out is called the light bar) to my on board computer blew. I drive an '89 325i convertable and I'm not sure how similar the work would be on your '85 325e.

When my light bar blew it ONLY effected the OBC....all the other lights on the dash worked fine. All I had to do was replace the light bar in the OBC (cost $30)---so I'm not sure if this is the same problem your having or not.

I didn't have to remove the whole panel....I only removed 4 screws that allowed the panel to kind of "bend" out enough (it only came out about 2 inches) to gain access to the side of the OBC so I could yank out the light bar and replace it.

I'll have to find the website that gave the "how to" intsructions---- but you should probably find out if the two lights (OBC and air controls) are being caused by the same problem....if they are being caused by the same thing then changing the light bar won't help.

Did they stop working at the same time?
#3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
(Thread Starter)
no they didn't. the air control panel light just recently went out, while the light behind the on board computer has been out since i had the car.

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

#4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:46 PM

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
There are a couple ways of replacing the the light bar in the OBC. I tried two methods. My first try was to take off the glove box and go in from the side (if you google "OBC light replacement e30" you'll get a whole list of different ways)---I got two hours into it and still couldn't figure out how to get behind the OBC---maybe I'm just an idiot....

the second method I tried worked alot better for me. I copied this from a website:

To replace the back-lighting on your OBC:

Our aim is to detach the entire fascia of the centre dash, from the hazard switch to the bottom of the heater controls.

Remove the 4 switches and/or blanks above the radio. Using a small screwdriver to gently pry them out usually works best.

At the top of 2 of these holes you will find a small Phillips head screw. Remove these two screws.

There are two more screws, placed vertically , in the bottom of this panel. They are accessed from the storage compartment in the head of the centre console. You cannot see them, one is on each side, you must find them by feel.

Now that the panel is free, pull it forward gently. Never force anything unless an expert has told you to.Your aim is to move the panel about 1 or 2 inches away from the dash. There is no need to disconnect anything other than the switches you removed earlier.

Look at the right side of this assembly. You will see a section of white plastic on the side of the OBC. This is the light board.

If the back light has not been replaced before, the side of the black fascia will be blocking this light board. You will need to cut away the plastic that is in your way. Do this very carefully, I use a butane hot knife, but a razor knife will work just as well, you must make sure you do not cut more than you must, and be careful not to damage any visible areas.

Once the white plastic is cleared, use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the centre ridge and pull it out, directly to the right of the car. If it has not been changed before, it will offer resistance, your force will break a small tab off of the light board, this is ok. You need to remove the same tab from the new light board and slide it in to the OBC.

At this stage, it is good practice to turn the ignition on to test the lights.

Assembly of the removed parts is straight forward. The best bet is to install the two lower screws first, as they are difficult and it's nice to be able to move the panel slightly to aid installation of the screws.

Don't forget to test the hazard and defroster switches after installing them.

so that's how it's done.....if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer since I have done this before.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:15 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
yamma i am much obliged. thank you my man

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

#6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:15 PM

no problem man, there's nothing I hate more then lights that don't work.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 02:43 PM

You said you also have a problem with the lights behind the air controls too....

2 of the 3 slider/vent controls on my car also don't work and I've been on a search trying to fix these for the past couple years. All I know is, that if you pull off the "knob" of each slider theres not a light bulb but rather some kind of fiber optic cable (sorry if that's a completly wrong term...) and my problem is two of the cables have broken and fallen back inside the dash---I've tried pulling them out and pushing them back into the "knob" but since they've broken then they're just not long enought to fit.

I've even tried buying some optic cable and "joining" the two pieces together to make it fit.....but that didn't even come close to working. I imagine I'll have to replace all 3 cables that come from the light source.....but I really have no idea....

Does any one know a way of fixing this?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Glow in the Dark paint?

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Update

what a pain in the ass.

look at the links to see the destruction it takes to get to the lights. what a pain.

http://community.webshots.com/album/513974632OMWmSD/1

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Power Flow Intake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)