replaced engine - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
87325es is on a distinguished road
replaced engine

I replaced the engine in my 87 325es and cant get it to start. I latter found out that there was no ground wire connected. So I attached a thin gauge wire from the top of the engine to the bolts to the shocks and the engine turned but did not start. So I can get it to turn but not start now. where does the ground go on these cars?
87325es is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
That should be fine but the ground needs to be at least a 10 gauge wire, something like an 8 gauge is safest.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
You probably just lost pressure in the fuel lines from the time the old engine was out to the time the new engine went in. Try filling the filter and go from there.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
But where would be the strongest connection?used: Is there supposed to be more than 1 ground?used: where should it be mounted? used:

THANKS
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
One ground, mounted at the oil pan on the drivers side below the alt.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Connected the ground from pan to chasis.

I connected the ground like you said from the pan to chasis and the car finally cranks. Thanks. But know Im not getting any fuel in the line in on top of the engine so its not starting. The reason could be when I took the engine out I cut the wire harness which is located on the fron passenger side going in the fire wall. So I had to reattach with the new engine. Does that harness have any wire going to the fuel pump? If so which one? By the way car has been sitting for 1 1/2 years.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Connected the ground from pan to chasis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I connected the ground like you said from the pan to chasis and the car finally cranks. Thanks. But know Im not getting any fuel in the line in on top of the engine so its not starting. The reason could be when I took the engine out I cut the wire harness which is located on the fron passenger side going in the fire wall. So I had to reattach with the new engine. Does that harness have any wire going to the fuel pump? If so which one? By the way car has been sitting for 1 1/2 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)