BMW Werkz banner

Repair Plug

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nukeduster 
#1 ·
So the dorks at a local lube shop put my oil drain plug in too tight and stripped out the pan.....now I'm trying to find a oversized repair plug to fix it and checker or autozone don't carry it...and I live hours away from any BMW shop...

Where could I find a repair plug? I can't find it online so maybe I'm not calling it the right name....

help?

#2 ·
Originally posted by yammahamma@Aug 16 2005, 10:57 AM
So the dorks at a local lube shop put my oil drain plug in too tight and stripped out the pan.....now I'm trying to find a oversized repair plug to fix it and checker or autozone don't carry it...and I live hours away from any BMW shop...

Where could I find a repair plug? I can't find it online so maybe I'm not calling it the right name....

help?
[snapback]369982[/snapback]​

are you SURE its the pan thats stripped and not the bolt? the bolt breaks more often then the pan.

if you need to re-tap the pan use a US standard 1/2" -20 tap, its the equivalent to 12.7mm which should be just enough to re-thread the pan. A 1/2 drain plug should be readily available anywhere..

If you want to stay metric you can drill and tap it using a m13x1.5 tap and buy a m13x1.5 bolt from homedepot, buy the tap from harbor freight tools.

#3 ·
are you SURE its the pan thats stripped and not the bolt? the bolt breaks more often then the pan.

if you need to re-tap the pan use a US standard 1/2" -20 tap, its the equivalent to 12.7mm which should be just enough to re-thread the pan. A 1/2 drain plug should be readily available anywhere..

If you want to stay metric you can drill and tap it using a m13x1.5 tap and buy a m13x1.5 bolt from homedepot, buy the tap from harbor freight tools.

Nukeduster is correct (AS USUAL) however, I will just add a word of warning... If you DO tap the pan, MAKE SURE TO CLEAN OUT ALL SHAVINGS!!! Get a good rare earth magnet, stick it to something like a coat hanger or the like (something that you can bend at 90 degrees to get inside the pan after you have tapped it) and let that bugger pick up the big stuff, then go back and stick a rag around your finger, and wipe the area around the hole clean, inside and out!!

Just looking out for ya!

Josh W

#4 ·
or just flush them out by pouring the used oil you just drained through the oil fill port while the drain plug is still off and it will flush the shavings out.

if you have some small ones still in there I wouldnt worry too much, thats what the oil pickup screen and oil filters are for, so things that accumulate in the pan dont get picked up into the galleys.

#5 ·
Originally posted by nukeduster@Aug 19 2005, 09:26 AM
or just flush them out by pouring the used oil you just drained through the oil fill port while the drain plug is still off and it will flush the shavings out.

if you have some small ones still in there I wouldnt worry too much, thats what the oil pickup screen and oil filters are for, so things that accumulate in the pan dont get picked up into the galleys.
[snapback]370866[/snapback]​
LOL, Always got a better (and easier) answer don't you!

Good Job! Someday I hope to attain the level of Master... Someday!

Josh W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.