BMW Werkz banner

Relay Problems

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dfw325e 
#1 ·
hey everybody..okay heres the deal...my car wouldnt start so i read some forums and found out it was the fuel pump relay...i used a jump wire and the fuel pump started to work..so i bought a new relay..well heres the deal..the car will only work when i jump 87 to 30...why wont it work w/ the new relay???? Im driving the car using a jump wire...the relay wont work..what the hell is wrong w/ my bmw??? please help..anybody!

#2 ·
Did you get the right relay? They list many diff part #'s for diff relays for the e30's.

I have 88' 325i relay part # 61311378301. Found Bosh relay at alloemparts.com $7.00 ea.

If you are sure that your new relay is the right one check your battery voltage. If your battery is not up to par it will not have enough votage to throw the relay.

I is quite possible that your new relay is defective.

Leaving the relay jumped will drain your battery. At least disconect it when your not driving. And you may be risking other probs...?

Good luck!
:D

#3 ·
well i had an import store do a cross reference on the old relay. It worked for a while..i took it for a short trip and turned it off. When i came back outside it wouldnt turn over? Is the main relay the same as the fuel relay? And by jumping the wires is that 100% relay problem and nothing else? please help

#4 ·
Sorry I didn't check back on this sooner.

If you can jump the relay and the car will run...maybe the relay. Like i said earlier your battery could be the problem. I believe the fuel pump relay needs 12 volts to in order for the contacts to engage. if your battery is dieing it will not have enough voltage to engage the relay.

You said in your reply that the car would not turn over.....the motor would not crank? If you turn the key and motor will not turn...then your battery is more than likely the problem. Have it tested...then move on...

#5 ·
hey, well i did some more research and it seemed to be the #85 pin needed grounding? I dont know what happened but i grounded that pin and the relay works. Still having some starting problems and the car just dies sometimes, but im thinking fuel pump. Should i be able to hear it running with my door open? Should it be loud, cause it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.