Rear Shock problem... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
FizzNakLe is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Shock problem...

the lower end of my shock mount broke, the bolt holding the shock in place is split in half. anyone have an idea of how to get the bolt out and where I can get a new one?used:

(it's an '87 325)
FizzNakLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
A drill, and a broken screw extractor. Center punch the broken bolt, drill a hole into the bolt just smaller than the bolt as straight as possable, then try an extraction. If that fails, get a thread repair kit for the bolt's size, drill it out then heli-coil it. I would advise heating it up but that takes a carefull touch, I have seen too many bearings destroyed this way from too much heat.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Is the shock still on the car? Are you going to be relplacing the shock? If so you could just cut the bottom eyelet bushing off of the shock and pull the eyelet off of the broken bolt. Once you pull it off you can access the shank of the bolt and heat it at the threads. Remember to heat it untill it's good and hot and then let it cool before trying to remove it. You wan't to expand it by heating it and then let it cool till it contracts ever so slightly and this will hopefully break the bond between the two parts! Also once it cools, go ahead and spray it down really good with some PB Blaster penetrant. Once it has had a good while to soak, use a good stud extractor or a good pipe wrench to get a grip on the remainder of the bolt and give it some heavy duty elbow grease! If that doesn't work, cut off the stud and do what Starmavin said! Just another suggestion, good luck!
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
A drill, and a broken screw extractor. Center punch the broken bolt, drill a hole into the bolt just smaller than the bolt as straight as possable, then try an extraction. If that fails, get a thread repair kit for the bolt's size, drill it out then heli-coil it. I would advise heating it up but that takes a carefull touch, I have seen too many bearings destroyed this way from too much heat.
OKay, once I get the bolt out; any ideas where I can get a new one? Obviously I can't use the old one, does a new shock come with the bolt?
I talked to someone who claims they can get it out, but I still need a new bolt!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Hardware store, or lowes.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
Hardware store, or lowes.
dumb question, any idea what size/hardness it is?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
M12x1.5x65mm is the size. It needs to be at least an 8.8 hardness. 10.9 would be preferable. Find you local Fastenal store and they can help you! Call information and they will be able to find it for you if you don't know where they are.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTE30
M12x1.5x65mm is the size. It needs to be at least an 8.8 hardness. 10.9 would be preferable. Find you local Fastenal store and they can help you! Call information and they will be able to find it for you if you don't know where they are.
THANKS! this will save a lot of time!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
This thread is now front shock problem :P. How do you get the shock out of the strut?

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Joe... you whore! If I'm not mistaken you have to be superman if it's been on the car for 20yrs like my rabbit was. Ok... you just diassemble the spring assembly using a spring compressor you can rent at AZ or Advance Auto. Once you have ther strut bearing off and the spring off you should see the cap that slides over the strut rod and threads onto the lower tube. This cap should have notches that allow you to grip it with a strut wrench. If you really want to keep it in one piece I would suggest soaking it in PB Blaster overnight as there is alot of thread surface to gaul together and it can be quite the bitch to get loose. I twisted the entire housing untill it was ruined last time! Once you get it loose you will find the OEM strut which submersd in oil, or you will find an aftermarket cartridge which is a sealed unit inside the housing. Good luck buddy!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
Haha all original baby. There is no dampening whatsoever. Anyway, all you have to do is twist the crap out of it? I soaked it pretty good the other day. I'm thinking about bolting it back up to the bearing on top to hold it while i loosen it.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
for my scirocco i was going to coils so i didnt need the spring mount anymore so i put the piston in a vice and took a swing press to the collar and it inched its way off but this isnt the case for you haha

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I don't think that will do the trick. I'm pretty sure that the bearing will spin, in fact I know it will as that is the purpose of the bearing. I just put the whole assembly in a big vise and used a drift and a hammer to drive on the notches untill it came loose. OK, that was the one that actually came apart! The other one I ended up using a big pipe wrench and a 6' pipe and my 300lb. friend and a "smoke wrench" and still ended up just ruining it!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I love how the bently sais "Simply unscrew the shock cartrige"

Old 08-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I want to mount it back up just so it will hold it upright while i figure out how to untwist it, i am still unsucessful in getting the shock out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)